Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

problem with 4 axis tutorial

aaron tabor

I am doing a 4-axis tutorial, I am trying to program a contour toolpath for a cylindrical helix I entered in all the information correctly as far as I can tell so I don't understand why its not generating the toolpath correctly.  I included a link to the file so you can see what I am talking about also I'm refering to toolpath 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwneckjonna9vdg/4X-Lesson-4-ExA%20with%20toolpaths.emcam?dl=0

3 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Your 2d geometry is in the wrong plane. Rotate it 90 degrees so it is visible in the top view.

Did you notice that the toolpath doesn't follow the geometry of the helix that I created?  Its off to one side even though I "unrolled" the helix and created the line for the contour properly. I turned compensation off too so the line would be on center with the tool so its not that.

Your tplane should match the plane that your geometry is in. You'll notice you are exactly 180 out from your spiral. Either move your geometry in Y by half the circumference or just chain your spiral instead. If you chain the spiral, you'll have to enable unroll in the toolpath and turn off the lead extensions. To get the tool to lead in/out, you'll need to create a longer spiral.

Also, if you are using 2023, seems the classic backplot is having issues with axis sub. You'll have to use the new backplot, or just verify instead.

Attached is a file with some corrections. I rotated the helical geometry by 180. I extended the helical geometry and removed the lead in/out and use that geometry to drive the toolpath. I added an extension to the Lead In on the 1st operation. I added a stock solid model to level 100. I extended the cutter from the holder on Op#3. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xky51pu1lrbsg30/AADPf91MXQsnYYnc6g10U2uCa?dl=0

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Attached is a file with some corrections. I rotated the helical geometry by 180. I extended the helical geometry and removed the lead in/out and use that geometry to drive the toolpath. I added an extension to the Lead In on the 1st operation. I added a stock solid model to level 100. I extended the cutter from the holder on Op#3. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xky51pu1lrbsg30/AADPf91MXQsnYYnc6g10U2uCa?dl=0

Excellent work sir.

• Thanks 1