Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Converting to surfaces

TERRYH

23 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Terry,

If you analyze the original solid and use "Check Solid" are there any faults/problems listed (other than tolerant edges)?

Pete

I'll go back and check that.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Terry,

Do you use the option to place 'untrimmed surfaces' on a level (default = 1000) ? That would save the untrimmed versions of any faces that couldn't convert.

Any chance you could send me the file including the solid you're trying to convert?

Pete

where can I send it 

Sorry about that ... yeah its supposed to be a dot. (damn fat fingers!)

I'm seeing inconsistent results in MC2021 - 2023 (BTW what version are you running?)

But, I will admit I am the world's worst triple-clicker, so I think that might be the issue.

I noticed that if I think I'm triple-clicking to get the whole body but I actually only double-click, almost all of the solid gets selected (depending on where you double-click). In this case I was attempting to triple-click on one of the top faces and I got this:

I tried Ctrl-A to get 'all' and that seems to get me all the surfaces.

Then I tried File/Open and turning on 'import trimmed surfaces' (knowing that it goes through the same code) and that seems to be OK every time.

So MAYBE the triple-click is the problem??? Not sure though

triple-double click.png

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
40 minutes ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Sorry about that ... yeah its supposed to be a dot. (damn fat fingers!)

I'm seeing inconsistent results in MC2021 - 2023 (BTW what version are you running?)

But, I will admit I am the world's worst triple-clicker, so I think that might be the issue.

I noticed that if I think I'm triple-clicking to get the whole body but I actually only double-click, almost all of the solid gets selected (depending on where you double-click). In this case I was attempting to triple-click on one of the top faces and I got this:

I tried Ctrl-A to get 'all' and that seems to get me all the surfaces.

Then I tried File/Open and turning on 'import trimmed surfaces' (knowing that it goes through the same code) and that seems to be OK every time.

So MAYBE the triple-click is the problem??? Not sure though

triple-double click.png

I have asked for that to be disabled in the configurations I hate triple click about as much as I hate liens coming into the software when I am probing a part using the CIMCO add on.

Window selecting like that should work - and it does for me. And with your part all the surfaces get created.

I still think its a selection thing and not a surface-generation-from-faces thing. I get surfaces for every face that is selected.

I want to recommend triple-clicking as a way to be sure you got the whole solid and nothing but the solid, but since I don't appear capable of using it, I really can't recommend it.