Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C11000 Copper Machining

Jake L

We have a ton of C11000 copper parts to machine. I'm hoping someone is more familiar with this material than us, we mostly stick to aluminum and steels.

The main pocket in this part is about 3.0" x 6.0" x .300" deep. We are planning on attacking it with a 1/2" end mill to rough it out. 

Does anyone have any good starting parameters?

We've done some research but everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to machine this material.

11 minutes ago, Jake L said:

We have a ton of C11000 copper parts to machine. I'm hoping someone is more familiar with this material than us, we mostly stick to aluminum and steels.

The main pocket in this part is about 3.0" x 6.0" x .300" deep. We are planning on attacking it with a 1/2" end mill to rough it out. 

Does anyone have any good starting parameters?

We've done some research but everyone seems to have a different opinion on how to machine this material.

I have always used aluminum grinds and tools for cutting copper along with those speeds and feeds. I adjust as the chips and other things show me that is good or needs to be adjusted.

If I had a 12k Spindle then I would run 12k rpm and .008-.012 per tooth feed rate with as much as 40% step over full depth of cut. If I had 24K rpm spindle I would try 24k and see how it handles it with the same feed per tooth. I am thinking 3 flute high polished endmill. 

• Like 3

I'm not usually as aggressive in copper as aluminum but start as Ron said and you may end up with a little less SFPM and sticking with the higher chip load. This is where machining becomes the art that it really is. There are good artists and not as good. I was sending copper chips 30-40 feet across the room back in the bridgeport days.

• Like 1