Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question for people who use Wire and Mill

volitan71

In the toolpath manager for Wire, when you hit "Parameters" to go in and change something, does it take like 3x - 5x longer for the window to come up then if you were in Mill? 

I'm wondering if it's just me. If not maybe I can talk to the boss about a hardware upgrade. It's pretty annoying.

Thanks

1 minute ago, volitan71 said:

Are you guys saying that maybe it's looking for files on a network drive vs locally, for example?

Yes....I have seen slow or congested networks really lag before....it's one reason I really like to work locally and save up to the server

They logged on to my computer remotely and changed a video driver setting, They forced it to use hardware acceleration for Mastercam when it opens.

It's still slightly slower than Mill, but not enough to bug me. It's much better now. I don't understand why there would be a difference with this between the two... But it works.

• Like 1
On 6/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, JParis said:

I experience no such lag...

I would suggest checking the location & data paths being used.....

I'm curious, If you hit the Parameters in the toolpath manager in Wire, would you say there's no difference at all between that and mill? Or would you say the wire is slightly slower?

It's slowed down a little again, and before I look into it any further I'm trying to determine if a slight difference is normal, or just my computer.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

I'm curious, If you hit the Parameters in the toolpath manager in Wire, would you say there's no difference at all between that and mill? Or would you say the wire is slightly slower?

No, I just tried it again, I get about a .2 sec pause which is about what I get in Mill, Lathe, or Mill-Turn

I am curious, what are your compueter spec's and video card?

52 minutes ago, JParis said:

No, I just tried it again, I get about a .2 sec pause which is about what I get in Mill, Lathe, or Mill-Turn

I am curious, what are your compueter spec's and video card?

Great, thanks for doing that for me. I appreciate it.

It says Intel Core i5-8400 at 2.80Ghz, 16 gigs of ram and an Nvidia Geforce GT 730 with 2 gigs

42 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

It's slowed down a little again, and before I look into it any further I'm trying to determine if a slight difference is normal, or just my computer.

Thank you!

What kind of parameters is it trying to load? Is the wire configuration one that needs to bring in a lot of setting for that specific machine?

Sorry, but you're sounding like a spoiled brat. I have programmed big parts where waiting 1-5 minutes for the screen to refresh was normal. I remember back 20 years ago I would hit the make the toolpath button on a Thursday and move to a different computer and it would be Monday before that toolpath would be finished calculating. I could spend 30-120 hours making programs by hand using AutoCad to figure out all my different features 30 years ago. Crazy how demanding we have all become. 3-5 times longer opening wire the world has just ended and you're no longer able to do your job????? Really?????????? Is the owner docking your pay? If he is then tell him I spent $8k on my programming system. I have 128gb of memory, i9 Top of Line Processor, Samsung 980 Pro M2 2 TB SSD, RTX5000 16GB video card and have 3 ASUS 27" in monitors with a Thunderbolt adapter. It is funny when I program parts for customers that only take 3-5 minutes to open on my system take 30 minutes to 2 hours to open on theirs. That always becomes the first question what kind of a system are you running?

Point is if 3-5X opening wire if the biggest thing slowing you down and holding up your programming then time to think about getting a better system or just dealing with it. If you running a system better than mine great, but you would be one of the few doing it and not that I am anyone special by saying that. I have worked with companies with 10-100 programmers and they are running 16GB entry level systems and wonder why programmers are taking so long. Be the same as wondering why a Bridgeport can keep up with a CNC Machine. I have been there and fought that in a shop and speaking from experience.

2 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

It says Intel Core i5-8400 at 2.80Ghz, 16 gigs of ram and an Nvidia Geforce GT 730 with 2 gigs

In my opinion, that system likely seriously under powered...it's not even have the power I had when I started here 7 years ago..

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz

64.0 GB

NVIDIA RTX-A4000

2 Solid State Drives..

Is that the issue? That would be my guess...YMMV

I wanted more CPU power but as the budget was for 4 systems, we were approaching $18k...so I took the most I could where I felt I needed it most and settled on a reasonable CPU

• Like 1
1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

What kind of parameters is it trying to load? Is the wire configuration one that needs to bring in a lot of setting for that specific machine?

Sorry, but you're sounding like a spoiled brat. I have programmed big parts where waiting 1-5 minutes for the screen to refresh was normal. I remember back 20 years ago I would hit the make the toolpath button on a Thursday and move to a different computer and it would be Monday before that toolpath would be finished calculating. I could spend 30-120 hours making programs by hand using AutoCad to figure out all my different features 30 years ago. Crazy how demanding we have all become. 3-5 times longer opening wire the world has just ended and you're no longer able to do your job????? Really?????????? Is the owner docking your pay? If he is then tell him I spent $8k on my programming system. I have 128gb of memory, i9 Top of Line Processor, Samsung 980 Pro M2 2 TB SSD, RTX5000 16GB video card and have 3 ASUS 27" in monitors with a Thunderbolt adapter. It is funny when I program parts for customers that only take 3-5 minutes to open on my system take 30 minutes to 2 hours to open on theirs. That always becomes the first question what kind of a system are you running?

Point is if 3-5X opening wire if the biggest thing slowing you down and holding up your programming then time to think about getting a better system or just dealing with it. If you running a system better than mine great, but you would be one of the few doing it and not that I am anyone special by saying that. I have worked with companies with 10-100 programmers and they are running 16GB entry level systems and wonder why programmers are taking so long. Be the same as wondering why a Bridgeport can keep up with a CNC Machine. I have been there and fought that in a shop and speaking from experience.

Whoa take it easy there happy. I'm not saying I cant do my job, and I'm old enough to have programmed with finger cam too. Not impressed.

All I'm doing is wiring dies and punches, very simple stuff. If you had to sit there for 4-5 seconds to change a parameter on wire while the mill was just about instantaneous you'd want to look into to it too. 

In the meantime, my machines are still running.

I've seen your posts and I appreciate all your input, I've learned things from you on other topics. But there's no need to jump on me like that.

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

In my opinion, that system likely seriously under powered...it's not even have the power I had when I started here 7 years ago..

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz

64.0 GB

NVIDIA RTX-A4000

2 Solid State Drives..

Is that the issue? That would be my guess...YMMV

Yeah, I kind of think so too, but I don't have another one to try it on so, thanks for the assist!

I know it's hard when you look at the minimum spec's required for Mastercam...but man, those are bare minimum...will it run? sure....will it run well? not likely.

There are people that use GEForce cards and claim they do well...I'm not going to say they are not.  Over the years I had ATI FireGL cards, a couple performed "ok" and a couple ran like dog poop....

When I spec a computer for CAD/CAM, it will absolutley, positively get spec'd with the best CAD/CAD card I can get them toi spend the money to get..these days RAM is vital...I won't ususally want anything less than 64 gigs and if a system will handle 128gigs and I can get it in the budget, I'll add it....as seen from so many tests over the years, closk speed and cache memory on the CPU play a big role...so if you get get the latest i11 or i9....use that rule on the newest i7..

CAD/CAM software in general is getting larger, more powerful and more complex, as such buying a computer that will have the power needed for several years(not just this year), is vital...

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

I know it's hard when you look at the minimum spec's required for Mastercam...but man, those are bare minimum...will it run? sure....will it run well? not likely.

There are people that use GEForce cards and claim they do well...I'm not going to say they are not.  Over the years I had ATI FireGL cards, a couple performed "ok" and a couple ran like dog poop....

When I spec a computer for CAD/CAM, it will absolutley, positively get spec'd with the best CAD/CAD card I can get them toi spend the money to get..these days RAM is vital...I won't ususally want anything less than 64 gigs and if a system will handle 128gigs and I can get it in the budget, I'll add it....as seen from so many tests over the years, closk speed and cache memory on the CPU play a big role...so if you get get the latest i11 or i9....use that rule on the newest i7..

CAD/CAM software in general is getting larger, more powerful and more complex, as such buying a computer that will have the power needed for several years(not just this year), is vital...

When I started this job in 2017, the boss said if you want a new computer say the word and I'll sign off on it with I.T., but it was honestly fine and I don't like spending money even if its not mine lol. Maybe it's time to discuss the upgrade. It's not just Mastercam that I've been upgrading, I have Inventor open as well as our ERP software and Autocad.

It's still not horrendous..

It's not just when I hit Parameters though, it's every time I chain something and have to go in to the parameters for the settings and there's a 3-5 second lag I guess. But not on the Mill, so I figured there was something I could change... Guess not

4 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Reads more like a hardware issue than a 'spoiled brat' issue

He's usually cool. Maybe had an extra coffee this morning.

58 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

When I started this job in 2017, the boss said if you want a new computer say the word and I'll sign off on it with I.T., but it was honestly fine and I don't like spending money even if its not mine lol. Maybe it's time to discuss the upgrade. It's not just Mastercam that I've been upgrading, I have Inventor open as well as our ERP software and Autocad.

It's still not horrendous..

It's not just when I hit Parameters though, it's every time I chain something and have to go in to the parameters for the settings and there's a 3-5 second lag I guess. But not on the Mill, so I figured there was something I could change... Guess not

He's usually cool. Maybe had an extra coffee this morning.

Sorry hard as a try not to come across like I do it just comes out wrong. I think it is time for a new system and not sure why Wire is acting that way. I would look at permissions and other things, but still think the system is doing what it can with what you got.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, JParis said:

That's kinda my point on required power....their minimum spec is much MUCH lower than that

Time is money I showed one company years ago how they were losing $250k a year in programming by not upgrading the computers the programmers were using. That wasn't machines sitting waiting on programs or other things that was just me crunching toolpaths on my laptop verses the towers. What was taking me 5 minutes was taking an hour on their systems. The owner bought one new system to prove me wrong. The one programmer with the new system was doing as much work as the other 4 programmers were doing. Within a month the owner got everyone new systems and I was not needed anymore.

I've been given kind of a loose budget of $2k, I can stretch it a little if it would make a huge difference.

Do you guys have any recommendations? 

I guess my biggest question is would you sacrifice a little CPU speed for a better graphics card? 

I know to stay away from Geforce,  That's about all I know right now.

Thank you!!