Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

22 Crashing during start up out of the blue...

Dontech

Good morning, all.

Started 22 @ 645 this morning, ran just fine, no obvious problems. Had to reboot computer about 10 minutes ago due to unrelated issue ( ^%@#@$! M$ Excel locked up on me), and after reboot 22 will not open, just crashes to the dreaded Crash Report box. Additionally, after clicking OK Mastercam does not give me a list of programs to recover like the dialogue box says it will. No changes were made to any files that I am aware of so I don't even know where to begin trying to troubleshoot this issue. We are running the server/network license if that helps. Any ideas on what might be a likely culprit?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Delete the Mastercam.workspace and mcamx.config and that should fix it. Sorry you will probably loose any customization you have done. That doesn't work then need to run the install program and repair.

Forgive my ignorance but where would I find those files? Searching mastercam.workspace through windows just takes me to web links.

47 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Here is where it is on my system:

C:\Users\Ron\Documents\My Mastercam 2022\Mastercam\CONFIG

Replace the Ron with your user name you login in with on the system. 

CM,

Thank you for the tips so far. I appreciate the help.

This problem seems to be more extensive than just my PC alone; my assistant's machine also has this issue out of the blue.

We are both using the network license, and have both been afflicted with this today. Neither one of us has run any kind of updates on our PCs recently,so...might this be some kind of network license issue?

4 minutes ago, Dontech said:

CM,

Thank you for the tips so far. I appreciate the help.

This problem seems to be more extensive than just my PC alone; my assistant's machine also has this issue out of the blue.

We are both using the network license, and have both been afflicted with this today. Neither one of us has run any kind of updates on our PCs recently,so...might this be some kind of network license issue?

Yes time to get IT involved.

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes time to get IT involved.

Did, thanks.

Turns out it was a .NET Framework Cumulative Update issue that affected both of our PCs at the same time. Our IT staff handles all of that exclusively and as they're not on-site it didn't work correctly, causing some kind of issue that's beyond me. Phew...glad it wasn't anything I did.

Thanks again, CM.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Dontech said:

Did, thanks.

Turns out it was a .NET Framework Cumulative Update issue that affected both of our PCs at the same time. Our IT staff handles all of that exclusively and as they're not on-site it didn't work correctly, causing some kind of issue that's beyond me. Phew...glad it wasn't anything I did.

Thanks again, CM.

Yes that i the issue with most IT now a days is hands off and trying to do everything remotely. Sorry, but sometimes the best ways are to just sit down in front of the computer and figure it out. Hopefully they get it fixed and get you back up and running.

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:32 AM, crazy^millman said:

Delete the Mastercam.workspace and mcamx.config and that should fix it. Sorry you will probably loose any customization you have done. That doesn't work then need to run the install program and repair.

You're a genius! This worked perfectly. My new 2023 decided to start acting up this morning. 

You're always a great help CM.

• Like 1

We do exotic things with network licenses, hosting between two clinical networks with secret tunnels, and then run MCam and Solidworks on quasi-hospital computers, with about three levels of IT support (the small gods, the great gods etc). In other words, it's remarkable it works, but it's actually been very reliable over 17 years and multiple versions of both programs.  In our experience, license issues will not cause MCam to crash, it will just get stuck trying to get a license, but because the whole system seems so baroque, everyone blames the license first. Unrelated to the OPs issue, our biggest source of crashes recently has been upon importing SW files into MCam. The current solutions is to bring the SW file in, immediately save the MCAM file, close mastercam down and restart without doing anything else, and then all runs fine.   

On 1/28/2023 at 1:27 AM, rcoope said:

We do exotic things with network licenses, hosting between two clinical networks with secret tunnels, and then run MCam and Solidworks on quasi-hospital computers, with about three levels of IT support (the small gods, the great gods etc). In other words, it's remarkable it works, but it's actually been very reliable over 17 years and multiple versions of both programs.  In our experience, license issues will not cause MCam to crash, it will just get stuck trying to get a license, but because the whole system seems so baroque, everyone blames the license first. Unrelated to the OPs issue, our biggest source of crashes recently has been upon importing SW files into MCam. The current solutions is to bring the SW file in, immediately save the MCAM file, close mastercam down and restart without doing anything else, and then all runs fine.   

that issue is easy to fix, heres a solution https://my.mastercam.com/knowledgebase/mastercam-crashes-shortly-after-opening-a-solidworks-file/

• Like 1