Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis Gaslighting

Hello all, I have a 5-axis Motion Master router I'm trying to program and I'm having issues with z depth. When I'm doing 2d paths everything seems fine, but when I start doing a Curve Toolpath to cut the bottom edge of the part, which has the tool tilted at 90 degrees, it seems like the depth is always high about one whole tool diameter. I have double checked my pivot distance number for my post and it is correct. My compensation is set to computer, and the correct side for the direction of my chain and cut. The machine is an older one with what I see referred to as a head-head configuration (x is on the table, y is on the bridge, b,c,z, are on the head). It uses a Fagor (8055 I think) controller. Any advice or help anyone can give would be so so appreciated. Thanks all!

I think Leon got this but just in case.

some info you probably already know.

TCP on code is G48S1. G48S0 for off

D# designates tool length table. our machines are setup to default to D#=tool number by default

we have a very similar machine

13 hours ago, Leon82 said:

There is a setting for tool tip vs tool center. I'm not sure if this will give a full diameter change though.

Well tool tip vs center did not seem to solve my issue. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'm down to try anything.

3 hours ago, RaiderX said:

I think Leon got this but just in case.

some info you probably already know.

TCP on code is G48S1. G48S0 for off

D# designates tool length table. our machines are setup to default to D#=tool number by default

we have a very similar machine

I don't think our current post uses TCP at all, I never see any of those codes. and it certainly does not output any D#'s

sorry am not familiar with pivot distance-gage length being calculated in the post (thats old school). 

a stab at it from your description of 90 deg and cutter seems to be driving on wrong side of line. does the control definition determine what side the cutter is at?

in other words it is suspect mastercam is looking at it 180 degrees off?

some one more knowledgeable is sure the chime in.

I would seriously look into incorporating TCP at the machine. may have to do a little test to make sure it is not an option on your 8055 that you may not have. all of ours have it.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to add the conclusion to this issue. It was my mistake. I did not factor in the length added by the collet when I calculated the pivot distance; I was measuring from tool tip to collet face, not from tool tip to spindle face.  I was missing a whole .41" because of it! Adding .41 to my pivot distance sorted it all out.

• Like 1