Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis slot Feedrate conundrum

Jespertech

Good morning fellow bull fighters,

I'm working on a fairly simple part, which honestly makes my situation all the more frustrating. I've accomplished exactly what I was trying for as far as backplot is concerned.

yet when I go to post the code it generates an absurd feedrate (999.99).. I've tried tweaking my settings in machine definition / control definition but nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how were you able to resolve it?  

I wanted to reach out here first before emailing my reseller in case it's something simple that I'm just overlooking.

5 -AXIS SLOT.ZIP

OK, with that posting, I am guessing this is a 5 axis cut.....or at the very least a 4 axis simulataneous...

How does your machine want that feedrate?   Is it using DPM(degeree per minute) or inverse feedrate?

That feedrate might make perfect sense to the machine

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, Jespertech said:

Good morning fellow bull fighters,

I'm working on a fairly simple part, which honestly makes my situation all the more frustrating. I've accomplished exactly what I was trying for as far as backplot is concerned.

yet when I go to post the code it generates an absurd feedrate (999.99).. I've tried tweaking my settings in machine definition / control definition but nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how were you able to resolve it?  

I wanted to reach out here first before emailing my reseller in case it's something simple that I'm just overlooking.

5 -AXIS SLOT.ZIP 599.38 kB · 1 download

That is correct that is Inverse time and someone would think per the Mastercam Control Definition(MCD) it is doing what it is told to do for output. Problem is the Mastercam Machine Definition(MMD) has been told that the max inverse feed rate is limited to 999.9999 when the machine might be able to handle 9999999.999 is what someone would think also. If you go into the MCD and change the feed like any other MP based post that has been hooked up correctly then you would get a changed output, but the problem is the age of this post it is not using the MCD for NC output. You need to go into the post and change that output here and the max feedrate that should be controlled by the MMD.

#Feed control settings
convert_rpd$ : 0     #Convert rapid to rapid feed
use_fr       : 3     #Output feedrate
                     #0 - programmed feedrate
                     #1 - inverse feedrate
                     #2 - inverse feedrate on 5 axis continuous
                     #3 - inverse feedrate on motion with rotary
inv_fd_typ   : 0     #Calculate feed location options
                     #0 - inverse feed at tip
                     #1 - min-max on flute length
                     #2 - tip to pivot on tool length
                     #3 - min-max on flute length to pivot on tool length
inv_sec      : 0     #Inverse feedrate is in seconds
radius_fr    : 0     #Use axis radius distance (pri_feed, sec_feed), user must add code
rot_feed     : 0     #Rapid rotary motion only feed options
                     #0 - convert to G0 rapid
                     #1 - apply rapid feedrate
maxfeedpm    : 500   #Limit for feed in inch/min
maxfeedpm_m  : 10000 #Limit for feed in mm/min
maxfrinv     : 999.99#Limit for feed inverse time
fix_fr       : 1     #If feedrate is zero, apply these values
deffeedpm    : 1.    #Default for zero feed in inch/min
deffeedpm_m  : 25.   #Default for zero feed in mm/min
deffrinv     : 500.  #Default for zero feed inverse time
inspect_delay  : 0   #Delay inspection point until null toolchange for safety

Change the use_fr from 3 to 1 if you want to try the operation feed rate on the machine.

If you want to try a higher number in inverse time then change the maxfrinv from 999.99 to 99999.99 and try it on the machine.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, JParis said:

OK, with that posting, I am guessing this is a 5 axis cut.....or at the very least a 4 axis simulataneous...

How does your machine want that feedrate?   Is it using DPM(degeree per minute) or inverse feedrate?

That feedrate might make perfect sense to the machine

ahh so there is more going on here than I was initially aware of, the code is generating a G93 for inverse time mode. Doing a little research it makes more sense to me. I was thrown off because I'm used to most of our rotary work being posted using DPM. I'll have to wait until I get the part set in the machine to try it out and make sure that it likes what I'm feeding it.

thank you for the input, and opening my eyes a bit more into the different cutting modes. 

1 minute ago, crazy^millman said:

That is correct that is Inverse time and per the Mastercam Control Definition(MCD) it is doing what it is told to do for output. Problem is the Mastercam Machine Definition(MMD) has been told that the max inverse feed rate is limited to 999.9999 when the machine might be able to handle 9999999.999. If you go into the MCD and change the feed like any other MP based post that has been hooked up correctly then you would get a changed output, but the problem is the age of this post it is not using the MCD for NC output. You need to go into the post and change that output here and the max feedrate that should be controlled by the MMD.

#Feed control settings
convert_rpd$ : 0     #Convert rapid to rapid feed
use_fr       : 3     #Output feedrate
                     #0 - programmed feedrate
                     #1 - inverse feedrate
                     #2 - inverse feedrate on 5 axis continuous
                     #3 - inverse feedrate on motion with rotary
inv_fd_typ   : 0     #Calculate feed location options
                     #0 - inverse feed at tip
                     #1 - min-max on flute length
                     #2 - tip to pivot on tool length
                     #3 - min-max on flute length to pivot on tool length
inv_sec      : 0     #Inverse feedrate is in seconds
radius_fr    : 0     #Use axis radius distance (pri_feed, sec_feed), user must add code
rot_feed     : 0     #Rapid rotary motion only feed options
                     #0 - convert to G0 rapid
                     #1 - apply rapid feedrate
maxfeedpm    : 500   #Limit for feed in inch/min
maxfeedpm_m  : 10000 #Limit for feed in mm/min
maxfrinv     : 999.99#Limit for feed inverse time
fix_fr       : 1     #If feedrate is zero, apply these values
deffeedpm    : 1.    #Default for zero feed in inch/min
deffeedpm_m  : 25.   #Default for zero feed in mm/min
deffrinv     : 500.  #Default for zero feed inverse time
inspect_delay  : 0   #Delay inspection point until null toolchange for safety

Change the use_fr from 3 to 1 if you want to try the operation feed rate on the machine.

If you want to try a higher number in inverse time then change the maxfrinv from 999.99 to 99999.99 and try it on the machine.

You answered my next question before I even had to ask, Thank you! 

Inverse Time Feed (G93) is one of the ways to get your machine to cut with one or more rotary axis in the cut. The simple explanation that F isn't a function of Feed rate, it is a function of time. The program is telling the control to take X number of units to make this move from one point to another. The program controls it. As JP aluded to there are two ways to express the function; Degrees Per Minutes or Units (mm/in) per minute.

Another common method is Tool Center Point Control (G43.4, G43.5, etc...). In TCP the control is making the calculations so you'll see feed rates as often as you wouls in a contour type path; plunge moves, feed moves, and retract moves. And the F is a function of feed in Units Per Minute.

HTH

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

Inverse Time Feed (G93) is one of the ways to get your machine to cut with one or more rotary axis in the cut. The simple explanation that F isn't a function of Feed rate, it is a function of time. The program is telling the control to take X number of units to make this move from one point to another. The program controls it. As JP aluded to there are two ways to express the function; Degrees Per Minutes or Units (mm/in) per minute.

Another common method is Tool Center Point Control (G43.4, G43.5, etc...). In TCP the control is making the calculations so you'll see feed rates as often as you wouls in a contour type path; plunge moves, feed moves, and retract moves. And the F is a function of feed in Units Per Minute.

HTH

thank you, I feel like I just stumbled into a whole new level of heightened understanding within the multi axis world. It all makes so much sense now, especially in situations where I'll need simultaneous 5 axis cutting motion. It seems so silly to think that there could be one feedrate in IPM for 5 independent axis' , but as of an hour ago that's exactly where my head was at.. You guys rock, thanks again.

• Like 1