Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Blend Toolpath with weird results.

CEMENTHE4D

The blend toolpath has to project to your geometry, so you'll often pick up some noise, especially if you're projecting flat curves onto a surface that tapers up to vertical like you're doing.  

I'd recommend changing your chains to drive directly off of the geometry, and then use avoidance to trim it back as you're trying to do with the chains.  So that would mean the top of the fillet and outer edge of the solid, then use avoidance geometry to avoid the center boss by however much you wanted, I think you had .005" or so in your offset chain.

3 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

The blend toolpath has to project to your geometry, so you'll often pick up some noise, especially if you're projecting flat curves onto a surface that tapers up to vertical like you're doing.  

One of the great features of blend is the ability to project from a different construction plane from the tool plane.

I don't use it often, but this is a situation where I might try it.

2 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

One of the great features of blend is the ability to project from a different construction plane from the tool plane.

I don't use it often, but this is a situation where I might try it.

Absolutely, there's a lot of great uses of blend. 

Especially once you understand how the old-school 2d projection mode works, you can really create some nice patterns for stuff that you need some overlaps like combustion chambers.  

But in this case where you're projecting downwards on a large solid going vertical, there's going to be a few things working against you in tolerance and plane.  That's why I suggested switching using the edges of the solid, then you get nice clean edges.  I don't have 2021, so I can't save your file back, but it does work nicely if you do it the way I described.