Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opti-rough step over

bd41612

Have any of you run into this issue?  I can't show this model, but essentially what is happening is that as this material gets thinner, the step over increases when it whips around 180 degrees.  When done, there is no fin left, this is a recessed area.  I'm using a 1/2" endmill in hardened stainless 4% radial engagement.  It does not like the heavy stepover.  For what it's worth, I'm using 2021.  Any tricks or 2022, 2023 have a fix?

optirough.jpg

Dynamic toolpaths maintain engagement angle. Engagement angle does not equal stepover. 

Here's an older video talking briefly about this. Gets into it about the 1:50 mark. The rest of the videos in this can be found on our website...one day I'll update them and get them on youtube and the blog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PG2XIph2E&t=5s

FWIW, ModuleWorks has addressed the sliver issue in their most recent toolpath release. Guess we'll wait and see if Mastercam brings that tech over into their paths. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bd41612 said:

Have any of you run into this issue? 

I don't know that I've struggled with this issue, but knifes edge/islands are often an issue for me with this cutter path. I feel like it lacks control - I find that there's situations where I can output one not great opti-rough or take the time to lay down five paths and come up with something that's more reliable when it hits the floor even though it took more work for me on the front end.