Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Suggested laptop

CNCZACK

There have been several of these discussions in the past 2 weeks...IMO, plan on spending between $4k-$6k

This is the laptop I have except the RTX 4000 isn't available, only the RTX3000 & RTX5000.....I would opt for more power as opposed to less

Dell Mobile Precision Workstation 7760 CTO

Processor 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11850H, vPro® (24 MB, 8 cores, 16 threads, 2.50 to 4.80 GHz Turbo, 45W)

Operating System Windows 10 Pro (Windows 11 Pro license included), English, French, Spanish

Video Card NVIDIA® RTX™ A5000, 16 GB GDDR6

17.3", UHD 3840x2160, 120Hz, IPS, Non-Touch, AG, 500 nit, 100% Adobe RGB, IR Cam/Mic, WLAN, HDR400

Memory 64 GB, 2 x 32 GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, Non-ECC, SODIMM
Hard Drive #1 512 GB, M.2 2280, Gen 4 PCIe x4 NVMe, SSD

Hard Drive #2 M.2 2280 512 GB, Gen 4 PCIe x4 NVMe, Solid State Drive
Palmrest Smart Card Only
Bottom Cover w/Smart Card slot Only
Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 Wireless Card with Bluetooth 5.2
6 Cell, 95 Wh, ExpressCharge™ Capable
240W E5 Power Adapter (EPEAT)

Dell Performance Dock – WD19DCS

Estimated Total $5,915.60

• Like 1

Now, might that machine be overkill for some, indeed it may.

I build out full assemblies for high-production machining, parts & and all of the fixturing, imported and designed, my files have 500-600+ operations, I do some 5 axis stuff, running the Mill-Turn module....

On a day when I am programming for a VMC, I am basically taking a vacation as is the laptop

• Like 2

I recently bought a couple of HP Z books.

1:  Latest gen i9

64G RAM

A2000 card 

Win 10 Pro

It runs MC surprisingly well, even on toolpaths with lots of processing.

2:  Latest gen i7

128G RAM

A4000 card

Win Pro 10

I don't need to get a stopwatch out to tell which is more powerful, just goes to show, MC is RAM and Cache hungry.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

I recently bought a couple of HP Z books.

1:  Latest gen i9

64G RAM

A2000 card 

Win 10 Pro

It runs MC surprisingly well, even on toolpaths with lots of processing.

2:  Latest gen i7

128G RAM

A4000 card

Win Pro 10

I don't need to get a stopwatch out to tell which is more powerful, just goes to show, MC is RAM and Cache hungry.

Just did specs for one on their website I would take the hard drive and clone it on to a Samsung 870 m.2 Pro 2TB drive and put 3 more of those drives in it. I ever have a problem I have the original drive stored away to reload the original OS and start over from there. They require you to purchase the 4 m.2 drives to have access to them unlike Dell. Would ship on 10-6-2022 wow is all I can say.

List $10,781.00
Save$3,234.30
Sales Price $7,546.70
    • Windows 11 Pro for Workstations - HP recommends Windows 11 Pro
    • ZBook Fury 17 G8 with Intel® Xeon® W-11955M vPro™ processor + Intel® UHD Graphics ( 4N4Y2AV )
    • Adobe Substance 3D Collection Plan (6-months)
    • ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
    • Intel® AX201 Wi-Fi 6 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 Combo, vPro
    • AMT vPro™ Technology Disabled
    • Integrated HD 720p DualAryMic Webcam
    • 17.3" diagonal FHD LED UWVA Anti-Glare for HD Webcam Ambient Light Sensor (1920x1080)(300 Nits)
    • NVIDIA RTX™ A5000 Graphics (16 GB GDDR6)
    • 128 GB (4x32 GB) DDR4 3200 SODIMM ECC
    • 256 GB PCIe NVMe Self Encrypted (SED) OPAL2 TLC SSD
    • 256 GB PCIe NVMe Self Encrypted (SED) OPAL2 TLC 2nd SSD
    • 256 GB PCIe NVMe Self Encrypted (SED) OPAL2 TLC 3rd SSD
    • 256 GB PCIe NVMe Self Encrypted (SED) OPAL2 TLC 4th SSD
    • Dual Point Backlit spill-resistant Premium Keyboard
    • Integrated Tile Capable
    • No Near Field Communication (No NFC)
    • No Broadband Wireless
    • No Fingerprint Reader
    • 200 Watt Smart PFC Slim AC Adapter
    • C13 1.0m Premium Power Cord
    • Destination Country Kit Localization
    • 8 Cell 94 WHr Long Life Battery
    • Three-year (3/3/0) limited warranty
    • HP 5 year Active Care Next Bus Day Resp Onsite w/Accidental Damage Protection NB HW Supp
    • Corporate Ready Setting
    • Intel® Xeon® Label (G11)
    • Electronic TCO Certified labeling
    • M.2 Carrier Cage
    • Operating System Localization
    • Standard Packaging

Boxx has a 17" laptop that can be ordered with an i9 and 128g of ram

The online configurator only has a choice of 2 high end Geforce gaming cards,

but I bet they would build one with a Quadro card as a special build

Xi also offers a 17"  i9 with 128g of ram.. again the configurator only includes GeForce video cards 

11 minutes ago, gcode said:

Boxx has a 17" laptop that can be ordered with an i9 and 128g of ram

The online configurator only has a choice of 2 high end Geforce gaming cards,

but I bet they would build one with a Quadro card as a special build

Xi also offers a 17"  i9 with 128g of ram.. again the configurator only includes GeForce video cards 

I have to go through Dell Business to buy the system I have now they don't offer it to the general public anymore.

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time picturing when 128GB of RAM is needed for Mastercam. I have some big Mastercam files (~1gb with ~300 toolpaths) for testing but have never seen Mastercam use a massive amount of ram. Maybe it would use more if I had more?? Anyone have example files or able to share scenarios where Mastercam will use massive amounts of RAM?

Currently, I'm running with 32GB and I'm thinking of adding another 32, but all this talk about 128 has me thinking. I do run more than just Mastercam so even if this 32gb addition doesn't improve its performance I'm confident I'll see some improvement elsewhere (premiere pro, camtasia), just not sure how much. Anyways, when I complete the upgrade I'll do some benchmarking and report back. I guess if I see huge improvements, I may need to consider 128GB on the next build.  

1 hour ago, mwearne said:

I'm having a hard time picturing when 128GB of RAM is needed for Mastercam. I have some big Mastercam files (~1gb with ~300 toolpaths) for testing but have never seen Mastercam use a massive amount of ram. Maybe it would use more if I had more?? Anyone have example files or able to share scenarios where Mastercam will use massive amounts of RAM?

Currently, I'm running with 32GB and I'm thinking of adding another 32, but all this talk about 128 has me thinking. I do run more than just Mastercam so even if this 32gb addition doesn't improve its performance I'm confident I'll see some improvement elsewhere (premiere pro, camtasia), just not sure how much. Anyways, when I complete the upgrade I'll do some benchmarking and report back. I guess if I see huge improvements, I may need to consider 128GB on the next build.  

It is not, people like to stroke their egos on computer specs. I have a 32gig computer here running i9 12900 and crushed the benchmark test file under 3 minutes.

• Haha 1
  • Huh? 1
On 7/16/2022 at 3:16 PM, medaq said:

It is not, people like to stroke their egos on computer specs. I have a 32gig computer here running i9 12900 and crushed the benchmark test file under 3 minutes.

Well that shows your ignorance and lack of doing really complex work that requires that need. I will throw you some of my 1 gig 1800 operation files and we can see which one running Mastercam and Vericut at the same time gets the job done faster. The benchmark is a nothing file. Mastercam files with over 200 operation and 10-20 stock models is when the true test start in my what are you exact words "people like to stroke their egos on computer specs" really starts.

I have 3 different Mastercam file open, Spacecliam and Vericut running a session while checking email doing the company books and responding to the thread. Nothing is lagging because I spent the money on a good system because I have run enough different systems to know that having the extra RAM and Video card do make a difference, but knowing something because you have real experience in your book means to and I quote "people like to stroke their egos on computer specs"

• Like 3
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Well that shows your ignorance and lack of doing really complex work that requires that need. I will throw you some of my 1 gig 1800 operation files and we can see which one running Mastercam and Vericut at the same time gets the job done faster. The benchmark is a nothing file. Mastercam files with over 200 operation and 10-20 stock models is when the true test start in my what are you exact words "people like to stroke their egos on computer specs" really starts.

I have 3 different Mastercam file open, Spacecliam and Vericut running a session while checking email doing the company books and responding to the thread. Nothing is lagging because I spent the money on a good system because I have run enough different systems to know that having the extra RAM and Video card do make a difference, but knowing something because you have real experience in your book means to and I quote "people like to stroke their egos on computer specs"

So now you know my work load? To be honest every there post of yours you put your resume out there. We know, you are apparently the only one in the world that does anything semi complicated.  And apparently every day you have, you have 3 mastercams open with 1800 operations. So 200 operations and 10-20 stock models is the standard? weird working on 2 parts as we speak, with about that same requirement. Both open with both running their own camplete to verify them selves. And omg, what am I using? 10 gigs?  

Most users will never ever need 128 gigs. This is my laptop, and I would be surprised I would ever touch 32gigs on a regular day.  So to advise the average user to buy way unnecessary requirements is not helping them.  

memory.jpg

4 minutes ago, medaq said:

So now you know my work load? To be honest every there post of yours you put your resume out there. We know, you are apparently the only one in the world that does anything semi complicated.  And apparently every day you have, you have 3 mastercams open with 1800 operations. So 200 operations and 10-20 stock models is the standard? weird working on 2 parts as we speak, with about that same requirement. Both open with both running their own camplete to verify them selves. And omg, what am I using? 10 gigs?  

Most users will never ever need 128 gigs. This is my laptop, and I would be surprised I would ever touch 32gigs on a regular day.  So to advise the average user to buy way unnecessary requirements is not helping them.  

memory.jpg

I have no idea of your workload and glad your system is doing everything you need it to do for you, but there was no need to be a complete a-hole and yet you decided to be one. I always tell anyone determine what you need and go with it. I have determined what my need is and have spent according to it. The question was asked and opinions where given you went out of your way to be ugly and I called you out on it.

Not trying to put anything out there I am always trying to help others and give them the best answer I can when they ask for help. The way I do things is my way and I always tell anyone take what I say with a grain of salt. Try and learn and do better than I do. I am just someone trying to earn a living. I know plenty that do way more complicated work than I do. I learn from them because I have conversations with them.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

I have no idea of your workload and glad your system is doing everything you need it to do for you, but there was no need to be a complete a-hole and yet you decided to be one. I always tell anyone determine what you need and go with it. I have determined what my need is and have spent according to it. The question was asked and opinions where given you went out of your way to be ugly and I called you out on it.

You are right, you do not know my workload. I will go back to making my square blocks with my 486 pentium. Btw if you think that was being an A-hole, maybe you should read your own post once in a while. 

• Haha 1

I had 32GB in my 2nd to last rig with a Zeon ( so maybe 7 years ago...) anyway, I had a span of 4-5 months where all I was getting were these massive projects that were large complicated assemblies (yes the fasteners threads were removed) and it was bring my system to it's knees. I bumped up to 64GB and it began performing as I would expect. Now, with price of RAM, to go from 64 to 128... really not a big deal. My current rig is doing OK with 64, though I'm working in a project that is 350MB+ (only 10mb is CAD) that is slowing things down a little so I don't run simulation simultaneously on this project. I may bump it up. I'm almost done though so we shall see. 

Long story short, it's not always an ego thing @medaq... sometimes it's a "I've gotta be prepared for whatever comes through the door thing." When I go out to a customer's site and I'm waiting forever for their file to load so we can do a simulation... it's a BAD look. When you own your own company as Ron does, he's routinely in front of customers... it's his livelihood.  Time is money and impressions are a key to success.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

I had 32GB in my 2nd to last rig with a Zeon ( so maybe 7 years ago...) anyway, I had a span of 4-5 months where all I was getting were these massive projects that were large complicated assemblies (yes the fasteners threads were removed) and it was bring my system to it's knees. I bumped up to 64GB and it began performing as I would expect. Now, with price of RAM, to go from 64 to 128... really not a big deal. My current rig is doing OK with 64, though I'm working in a project that is 350MB+ (only 10mb is CAD) that is slowing things down a little so I don't run simulation simultaneously on this project. I may bump it up. I'm almost done though so we shall see. 

Long story short, it's not always an ego thing @medaq... sometimes it's a "I've gotta be prepared for whatever comes through the door thing." When I go out to a customer's site and I'm waiting forever for their file to load so we can do a simulation... it's a BAD look. When you own your own company as Ron does, he's routinely in front of customers... it's his livelihood.  Time is money and impressions are a key to success.

I never said 128 is not necessary for some. I would expect ron and your self to have as much system as possible. You both do not know what is going to be handed to you next. I like to feel my work is pretty good, you know my work, you helped me here at the shop. Our work here is probably higher than the average user for memory use especially with all the production. And still I doubt we even need 32 gigs in mostly any situation.  So yea, in most cases waste of money.

Memory is weird.

I bought my current home rig with 32g of ram and it normally used about 8g, 12 at most

I upgraded my RAM to 96g, but ram usage remained unchanged

Then I did a fresh Windows install and redid the  BIOS settings Boxx uses to overclock this machine

Now it routinely uses 24 to 32 g and goes as high a 60g, running Verify sessions on some of the very large parts I do.

At work I got a new PC about a year ago.

I recently upgraded the ram to 128, but ram usage remains unchanged

There have got to be some Windows setting somewhere that affect this, but I can't find them

and no one can tell me what they might be.

• Like 2

My 0.02 cents worth is always get the most you can afford when it comes to computers....It is better to have too much than not enough...

To quote a friend of mine in regards to beer..."I would rather be looking at it instead of looking for it!!!!!" :D~~~~~

• Haha 2

I am looking at a new laptop as well....I feel I can get by with 32 gb 99% of the time. I am buying a system with 64 in it. I want to use the thing for several years to come, and don't want to be out of ram in a couple of years. As with everything, as time progresses, computers evolve and you will need it eventually. That is my approach. 

I will get the best that I can afford now, and know in a couple years it may be antiquated. That's fine.... I will address it then to the best of my ability. I wish I had the computer that John and Ron have, but in all actuality, I probably don't need it. I hope, one day, that my skill level and work require it though! 

2 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

My 0.02 cents worth is always get the most you can afford when it comes to computers....It is better to have too much than not enough...

To quote a friend of mine in regards to beer..."I would rather be looking at it instead of looking for it!!!!!" :D~~~~~

My rule is build the best machine you can afford.. then bump it another 10-20%

You're going to be living with it for 3 to 5 years so....

It's better than back in the day though

In the early days of CAD/CAM, PC's were obsolete before you got them home from the store

Running one for over a year was impossible because the hardware, OS and software was changing so fast

Today, my backup work station is 8 years old and still runs Mastercam just fine..It's just not as fast as I'd like 

Here's one for old timers

Who remembers dropping $3K on a PC and it won't run your CAD/CAM software because

you forgot to buy the optional math chip ... and then you find out your mother board does not have a slot

for said math chip 

• Like 6

and who remembers paying $300 for a 1 meg stick of ram  

and the guy at the store treats you like a total idiot because nobody needs that much ram 

or  

an 18 year old store clerk telling you with complete certainty that there is no such this as an 8" floppy disc

• Haha 2