Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Suggested laptop

CNCZACK

1 hour ago, medaq said:

You are right, you do not know my workload. I will go back to making my square blocks with my 486 pentium. Btw if you think that was being an A-hole, maybe you should read your own post once in a while. 

I will go back to my dull missing teeth Hacksaw, File that wore out and Sandpaper in the basement where I get gruel that is 10 weeks old and been allowed to ferment to the point of green gunk with clumps of rotten mold with my piece of charcoal and brick trying to make code.

Yes I am fully aware I come across wrong sometimes and apologize when I do, but since you made such a blanket statement that was totally not needed for the conversation I responded. It that makes me the a-hole then so be it.

59 minutes ago, gcode said:

Here's one for old timers

Who remembers dropping $3K on a PC and it won't run your CAD/CAM software because

you forgot to buy the optional math chip ... and then you find out your mother board does not have a slot

for said math chip 

I had that issue with the first PC I ever bought. I was pissed.

1 hour ago, #Rekd™ said:

My 0.02 cents worth is always get the most you can afford when it comes to computers....It is better to have too much than not enough...

To quote a friend of mine in regards to beer..."I would rather be looking at it instead of looking for it!!!!!" :D~~~~~

YOU win the Internet for the day. 

🍻

Where all the Celeron's at? 

😜

38 minutes ago, JParis said:

When you didn't know the difference between the SX and the DX but the SX was cheaper, so you bought it

Were you looking over my shoulder sometime around 1994?

😆😅🤣😂

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, gcode said:

Who remembers dropping $3K on a PC and it won't run your CAD/CAM software because

you forgot to buy the optional math chip ... and then you find out your mother board does not have a slot

for said math chip 

Yes, and having to run a math co-processor  emulator from a floppy.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, gcode said:

My rule is build the best machine you can afford.. then bump it another 10-20%

You're going to be living with it for 3 to 5 years so....

It's better than back in the day though

In the early days of CAD/CAM, PC's were obsolete before you got them home from the store

Running one for over a year was impossible because the hardware, OS and software was changing so fast

Today, my backup work station is 8 years old and still runs Mastercam just fine..It's just not as fast as I'd like 

for said math chip 

We got the math chip on the old 8088 in 1981.  Expanded memory card for 640K, external 20MB HDD and tape drive combo, CGA color graphics...

Xerox Memory Writer was hooked up as a printer.

The molds I'm doing lately are around 200 ops and pushing toward 32GB RAM on the stock models, but I'm putting all the parts for a mold in one file.  Went to 64GB for some headroom.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

So could we do a poll?

Dell, HP, MSI, Lenovo.. what are the favourite, and is it worth investing in a underdog?

I wondering what the general opinion about Lenovo is, Im looking at the Z16 or P16 gen1. I know they're not the beasts as some of you talk about but they cost almost half the money and since I don't need to process a 2mm ballnose scallop cycle with a 0.02mm stepover on a truck sized mold with decorative engraving, I don't really need the overkill. 

More important, I'm paying out of my own pocket.

Z16:

AMD Ryzen™ 9 PRO 6950H-processor (3,30 GHz tot 4,90 GHz) 

Windows 11 Pro 64

32 GB LPDDR5 6400MHz

1 TB SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe Gen4, TLC, OP

AMD Radeon™ RX 6500M, 4 GB, GDDR6

P16:

Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX-processor 12th gen (E-cores tot 3,40 GHz en P-cores tot 4,80 GHz)

Windows 10 Pro 64 downgrade in Windows 11 Pro 64

32 GB (2 x 16 GB) SO-DIMM DDR5 4000MHz Non-ECC

1 TB SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe Gen4/4

NVIDIA RTX™ A3000, 12 GB, GDDR6 ECC