Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Transform 3D High Speed Toolpath on 5th Axis

Hi all, I am trying to tranform a dynamic optirest toolpath. I have the path I want on the right side of my part. I want to use that same path on the left side of my part. Keep in mind this is on a 5th axis so I mean that the dynamic path essentially faces the right side of my part I want to use it to face the left side of my part as well.  When I translate it seems to just flip it to the postive side of y axis. I got somewhat close messing with the planes options. I did get the tool to approach from the opposite side like it should look but that path was still off in the air...I am just looking for some good lessons on translating paths in 5th axis situations where they will need to use other planes and such...I can upload a zip2go to google drive if I must but just looking for some thorough lessons or videos on the subject. Hopefully this makes sense to someone the screenshot I took was 99 kB so too big to post...

You want to use the transform rotate function. Transform itself is move from A to B, rotate which is go CW/CCW around a point, and then you have mirror which is opposite about something... basically.

On the 2nd page you set the rotational values, plane to rotate about and point to rotate about. 

• Thanks 1

on a somewhat related note...The machines in my shop have their A axis setup "backwards".... So simulation shows all negative A rotations putting the part in the back of the machine but in reality my shop's machines go to the front of the machine when at negative A positions. I would have just changed the direction on all the machines but then all the repeat programs would need changed too. On top of that the big 5th axis trunnion that used to go into out VF4 rotated the standard correct direction. I did not want 5th axis machines that needed different posts with opposite A rotations. So we had the big 5th setup backwards like the rest as well. So now the only issue from this is that I have to watch my simulations showing the part run in the back of the machine when in reality it will be in the front where the operator can see....Is there someway to flip my A axis rotation in simulation but not have it change my G Code? I hope the backstory and question make sense

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Does that mean you already submitted something to cnc software about this issue? It is frustrating seeing the toolpath backplot and machine sim correctly, then go in to Verify and watch it cut air.  

Yes

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

on a somewhat related note...The machines in my shop have their A axis setup "backwards".... So simulation shows all negative A rotations putting the part in the back of the machine but in reality my shop's machines go to the front of the machine when at negative A positions. I would have just changed the direction on all the machines but then all the repeat programs would need changed too. On top of that the big 5th axis trunnion that used to go into out VF4 rotated the standard correct direction. I did not want 5th axis machines that needed different posts with opposite A rotations. So we had the big 5th setup backwards like the rest as well. So now the only issue from this is that I have to watch my simulations showing the part run in the back of the machine when in reality it will be in the front where the operator can see....Is there someway to flip my A axis rotation in simulation but not have it change my G Code? I hope the backstory and question make sense

Yes the machine simulation can handle that.

• Thanks 1