Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you ever peck with your spot drill?

How do you like to spot drill your holes?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like to spot drill your holes?

• No pecking G81
    • Yes pecking G83
    • Depends on the scenario

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding spot drilling with HSS/Cobalt Spot Drills. Maybe it will make a good poll too. Do you ever peck with your spot drill? I usually never did but I noticed my setup guy changing my G81 to G83 especially on Stainless parts with 1/2 inch or 3/4 dia. spots. He said he felt that the tool was building up too much heat while spotting which definetely seems like a valid point. But I recall going to a training event where the instructor said entering and exiting the cut will always be the most stress on the tool. This question is mostly concerning HSS/Cobalt spot drills because from what I understand you rarely peck with carbide...

I don't use carbide drills as often as I maybe should. I'm usually just doing prototype quantities no more than 5-10 pieces, so I don't typically like to add the cost of those drills but I am starting to think I should stock some common sizes in Carbide for SS. I had used HSS and Cobalt my whole career as a setup guy so I had very little experience with Carbide. Then the first times I was programming at a larger shop that could afford Carbide drills the Setup guys would break them too often for the cost so I went back to usually using Cobalt for Steel...Now though I have successfully used thru spindle coolant carbide drills on some steel production jobs and I am amazed!!! What type of point allows for no Spotting with a longer drill?

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

I don't use carbide drills as often as I maybe should.

Well, using them in aluminum, thru coolant, 18,000 RPMs on many, I can push small drills from 55IPM or so to larger drills well over 100IPM...no pecking, straight thru..

Admittedly, we're a bigger shop and protypes are a way of life here but we have a good selection always on hand, so having them isn't a problem. As we do protoype on our HMC's, many times I'll use a drill that's already available in the carousel.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

He said he felt that the tool was building up too much heat while spotting which definitely seems like a valid point.

If you notice on spot and center drills there is no back relief, hence the heat buildup.

You can get good quality cobalt drills with a split 135 degree point which don't require spotting. We do short run stuff here too; however, I will often use them just to capture the tip of a long drill (small spot) where I can't pilot drill for one reason or another

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JParis said:

Well, using them in aluminum, thru coolant, 18,000 RPMs on many, I can push small drills from 55IPM or so to larger drills well over 100IPM...no pecking, straight thru..

Admittedly, we're a bigger shop and protypes are a way of life here but we have a good selection always on hand, so having them isn't a problem. As we do protoype on our HMC's, many times I'll use a drill that's already available in the carousel.

I rarely use spot drills for pre-drilling but quite often I will use mill-drills for chamfering tap holes and edge chamfering.

• Like 1

Not much discussion on the actual poll here. I found that tool life in spotting with a HSS SD is related to chip load more than anything. I like to have the hole chamfer there prior to drilling so use a spot more often just for that rather than location.