Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5AX DMG MORI 60 EVO Machine Simulation model

Ady Pratt

Hi all, 

I'm new at master cam. And want to run full collision simulation before cutting as I don't want to bump the machine.

Just wondering (hoping) someone has a machine simulation model for a DMG Mori DMU 60 EVO.  The 3 axis stuff doesn't seem to bad to build but pretty lost with the mori. If someone would care to share, it would be very much appreciated!! 

Thanks.

Generally, people check with the machine builder. Most will provide the models, Even then, you will have to do all of the model break down, position, definition and setup....

Now MachSim....a lot of people think "great, I get simulation with Mastercam" and they could not be more wrong

Yes, Machsim comes with Mastercam but unless you purchase a post/machine/license machsim is NOT going to be checking your gcode. It checks your NCI file against the machine.  5 axis in particular becasue there's so much data manipulation happening in the post, it is essentially useless as it is NOT going to show you what is going to happen at the machine when the file is post processed.

So, the best suggestion for that use is to get a quote from your Mastercam reseller on the cost of getting that post.....otherwise, you will still be very much in the dark on the gcode

JM2C YMMV

we have the correct post and I have the machine model, its the the deconstructing and building I'm struggling with, as the Y axis is not really on the Y. Its on an angle to the left. its the collision checking I'm after as it quite tight in there. Maybe a quote from mastercam will be the way forward. I  was just wondering if anyone eon here had one to hand.

53 minutes ago, Ady Pratt said:

we have the correct post and I have the machine model, its the the deconstructing and building I'm struggling with, as the Y axis is not really on the Y. Its on an angle to the left. its the collision checking I'm after as it quite tight in there. Maybe a quote from mastercam will be the way forward. I  was just wondering if anyone eon here had one to hand.

You will likely need a Postability post with the Machsim model (this is from your re-seller). The other option since you have the post is to look at Vericut or a similar verification software. 

side note...if you're thinking that you can tied your post to the machine models, even if you could get all of the logic necesaary into your post to do so, it still would not work...as you need to purchase a license thru your reseller for it to actually work the way a 5 axis simulation needs to work to have any real world value.

I'm not trying to be an a$$, I am trying to save you from doing everything only to realize it doesn't work as you intend it to work.

Point in fact, you can set a MI value in your kmist ints to set a specific starting angle.....or you can set it to start at the possible 2nd solution..all of that magic happens in the "post"   machsim that's not tied to and license will NOT pick those up....so what you see in machsim will not be what you see at your machine....and in such cases, an expensive crash may ensue 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ady Pratt said:

Can you share a picture of the solid model and a small explanation of your problem? Maybe I can help you.

I'm Interested in this because I use Machine Simulation with Mastercam's generic 5 axis machine with my fixtures or vises loaded in to see if I will crash. I don't trust it completely but it seems to help. So I would've thought that setting up a 3d model of your machine to be in Sim would still offer some Value right even though it may not be perfectly in sync with your posted G Code...Anywho just here to see how this plays out and what gets explained

On 7/21/2022 at 4:25 PM, [email protected] said:

I'm Interested in this because I use Machine Simulation with Mastercam's generic 5 axis machine with my fixtures or vises loaded in to see if I will crash. I don't trust it completely but it seems to help. So I would've thought that setting up a 3d model of your machine to be in Sim would still offer some Value right even though it may not be perfectly in sync with your posted G Code...Anywho just here to see how this plays out and what gets explained

What I've always told people is that on a 5 axis toolpath, I have 50% confidence it'll  run right on the machine from backplot, 75% from Machsim without being tied to your post, and 95% with it being tied to your post.   To get 100% you need to have a trusted verification software like Camplete/Vericut/NCsimul/etc.

What JParis is trying to say is that you have two sets of code being run here.  Mastercam toolpaths are stored in a "generic" format called NCI.   When you hit the Post button, it runs through your machine's post processor that contains all the information it needs to say "Your machine has a B axis rotating head, so I'm going to adjust the X & Z every time the B angle changes," etc.  It's then converted this way into the G code you produce.

In order for MachSim to translate any sort of movement, it also has to have its own post processor (called Multi-X post).  The problem is that, depending on your machine, your post and MultiX post may arrive at completely different solutions to solve the position; E.g., Machsim goes to A+90, which clears the fixture.  Your post chooses to rotate to A-270 which will not clear the fixture.   You have no way of knowing that it did that until you run it on your real machine!

There's an option available from post builders like Postability and In-House Solutions that hook up the Machisim model to your post, so instead of using the Multi-X post, it uses your post to resolve all of the positions.  It won't help with custom M codes and such, but at least all of your positions will be the same as they post out.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4