Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapered ball end mill

Threept82

Good Morning all,

I am looking for a 5 axis, impeller machining genius to help me out.

I need to 5 axis rotary mill some titanium impeller blades that the casting house messed up.

My question.

Is these anything special I need to calculate to determine what I need for the tapered ball end mill I will need to use?

I've tried programming with several basic sizes and tapers.

All seem to give me different results with gouging but all in different areas.

Thanks 

I understand you most likely cannot share the file....however, can you break out 1 complete set of blades....

Sight unseen, this one might be tricky to get a grasp on without something to see

Many times gouging is related to tool axis control or perhaps the drive or check surfaces...

Ken,

I noticed on your "Inside" or "Left cuts you only Gouge Check to to Swarf geometries but on the outer cuts you're using check surfaces..the front lips on the blades....have you looked at the settings to add checks on the Inside cuts?

Those looked like to areas that were gouging

Hmmm. can't quite get this all gone....

I don't have the time to dig too much deeper but I encountered something "like" this some years back and it was the way the vane was designed....becasue of the twist and the angle within the twist, there was a section that could just never "quite" be right..

You might want to send this in to QC to see if I'm nuts...I never rule that possibility out  :D

Depending on the vane a taper ball endmill may not be the best choice. Then you have to pick your acceptable amount of gouging for the vane you are cutting. If it has a .001 profile tolerance then you're painted into a corner. If you have .03 profile tolerance then use your tolerance to cheat it in. Sight unseen going to be hard to say. My email is in my signature block if you want to send it my way.

• Like 2
On 7/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, crazy^millman said:

Depending on the vane a taper ball endmill may not be the best choice. Then you have to pick your acceptable amount of gouging for the vane you are cutting. If it has a .001 profile tolerance then you're painted into a corner. If you have .03 profile tolerance then use your tolerance to cheat it in. Sight unseen going to be hard to say. My email is in my signature block if you want to send it my way.

Agreed.  The problem with the tapered ball mills is that often blades are designed for a specific cord contact line, and the larger diameter at the top of the taper often throws that off.

I'd be happy to take a look as well, but in general that's why the Swarf Milling toolpath allows you a tolerance to violate/leave material to the points Ron brings up above.