Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Arc Polar wants to place arc at center, no matter where I select

JB7280

I'm trying to place an arc with Arc Polar, and no matter where I select, it wants to put the arc at the origin.  I've tried using the Shift-Relative method, and I've tried all different areas, and no matter what, it goes to center.   What the heck am I missing here?

In this screenshot, the arc in white, is the arc currently being created by the gnomon and "clock" at the top right.  

2131324470_arcpolar.thumb.jpg.6e12a995790af8baa65acb875367a136.jpg

1 minute ago, AHarrison1 said:

When placing the gnomon have you tried hitting "E" for endpoint or "M" for mid-point?

Just tried it.  Same result.  I should mention, this function works just fine when I'm just placing a circle.  

Actually, seems to work fine in every other function except for arc polar.  Tried circle, line, rectangle

477255276_arcpolar2.thumb.jpg.6123719db3ead550d9ad8da5a1c8525a.jpg

arc polar3.jpg

9 minutes ago, JParis said:

The 1st thing it prompts you for is to click the "Center Point"...I just did it in 2023 and it worked as expected

I'm guessing something in your order

Click >> Create Arc Polar >> Click on the center point >> set arc parameters

Hopefully this works, but that's what I'm doing

Just for grins, are you by chance in 2D?   It really shouldn't affect that but I'm curious...

might that geomtry you click be a spline? If so, add a point at the end and try to click the point instyead of the endpoint of that spliine

17 minutes ago, JParis said:

Just for grins, are you by chance in 2D?   It really shouldn't affect that but I'm curious...

might that geomtry you click be a spline? If so, add a point at the end and try to click the point instyead of the endpoint of that spliine

I was originally in 2D.  But in the clip I posted, I was in 3D, and it is in fact a line.  I've tried it from all different points in the environment.  I have not tried restarting MC, I will now.  However, I remember having this problem or something similar in the past as well, and figured I was just doing the wrong series of buttons, and worked around it.  I only really noticed it because I started doing the lessons on Streaming Teacher to brush up on some fundamentals, and noticed mine behaved differently than theirs.   

7 minutes ago, JParis said:

No doubt that what you are seeing in strange behavior...

I'd restart, might try a new file...just to see if it's something of an anomoly or if it is something that you can reproduce

A restart fixed it, thanks for the obvious suggestion!  lol.  I do know I've seen it before, so I almost wonder if it's some sort of setting that it getting "stuck"  I'll have to try to remember what I did next time it happens. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JParis said:

Yeah, strange behavior that's not "normal"....typically I'll shut down Mastercam and restart it...

Seems to me at times they are still chasing a memory leak...but what do I know I'm just a programmer  ;)

Interesting, I started working on the same thing, and it did it again.  Seems it doesn't respect the size either.  Radius in the Arc Polar manager was clearly set to .65, and somehow it generated a 1.0 radius.   Sounds like this may be something I need to submit to QC

13 minutes ago, mwearne said:

Seems to have something to do with the locked rad/diam when using 2022. Unlock and you should be fine. In 2023 it works fine if the lock is on.

Interesting.  Good call.  That seemed to behave the same way on mine.  Thanks!