Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapered endmill cutter compensation

Stephen

Hello,

I'm sure this had been coved but I can't find it searching the forums. I creating a chess board that will have an .125" inlay depth for the 2 inch colored squares(.125 radius corners). I'm using an Onsrud 30 degree included angle cutter with a .03 flat tip. How do I get the cutter to follow the simple wireframe geometry for any given depth? I've defined the tool, but it always compensates from the cutter body diameter, not the tapered part of the tool.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hello,

I'm sure this had been coved but I can't find it searching the forums. I creating a chess board that will have an .125" inlay depth for the 2 inch colored squares(.125 radius corners). I'm using an Onsrud 30 degree included angle cutter with a .03 flat tip. How do I get the cutter to follow the simple wireframe geometry for any given depth? I've defined the tool, but it always compensates from the cutter body diameter, not the tapered part of the tool.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

What did you you define it as?

The engraving toolpath works. I had to draw extra geometry to create an outer boundary for the male part since it is outside of the square. This causes the tool to make an extra cut(outer boundary) where the is no material. It's not a very efficient toolpath, but it works. Is there a way to do this with a regular contour toolpath?

Steve

23 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Rekd,

The tip is blunted by .03. With the compensation off it drives the center of the tool on the geometry, not the edge of the tool. 

Steve

Try setting your "Stock to leave on walls" at +.015.

That should put the edge of the tip on your wireframe.

• Like 1