Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Renishaw Prode diameter on Haas machine

Is there a setting on the on the Haas machine to change the spindle probe diameter?  I need to use the probe to inspect some features on a part, the standard 6mm probe is too big.  Im trying to use a 3mm probe, I can calibrate it, but I dont see where the diameter call out is.

The probe is driven from the spindle centerline, so there is no direct "callout" for the probe diameter. At least, not on the G65 Pxxxx Macro Call Line.

Calibration on a Haas should be done through VPS, where you'll have a series of Templates to execute, and here is where you would enter the nominal Probe Stylus Diameter.

Do not run "Complete Probe Calibration Macro". Instead, execute Calibration Macros 2, 3, and 4 (Tool Probe Calibration, Spindle Probe Length, and Spindle Probe Diameter), in order. You'll get more accurate results if you run all three sequentially, instead of running "complete probe calibration".

On the Spindle Probe Diameter Calibration Macro Page (VPS), this is where you'll enter the Probe Tip Diameter, along with other calibration inputs.

The "diameter" actually doesn't get stored. The Calibration Macros will calculate the Probe Radius, and store that value. The "variable ranges" are typically in the #500-#590 range of values. Should be #520-#527, or something like that, for where the actual calibration numbers are stored.

8 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

The probe is driven from the spindle centerline, so there is no direct "callout" for the probe diameter. At least, not on the G65 Pxxxx Macro Call Line.

Calibration on a Haas should be done through VPS, where you'll have a series of Templates to execute, and here is where you would enter the nominal Probe Stylus Diameter.

Do not run "Complete Probe Calibration Macro". Instead, execute Calibration Macros 2, 3, and 4 (Tool Probe Calibration, Spindle Probe Length, and Spindle Probe Diameter), in order. You'll get more accurate results if you run all three sequentially, instead of running "complete probe calibration".

On the Spindle Probe Diameter Calibration Macro Page (VPS), this is where you'll enter the Probe Tip Diameter, along with other calibration inputs.

The "diameter" actually doesn't get stored. The Calibration Macros will calculate the Probe Radius, and store that value. The "variable ranges" are typically in the #500-#590 range of values. Should be #520-#527, or something like that, for where the actual calibration numbers are stored.

That is exaclty what I was looking for, thanks Colin!

Now, to the next question.  Is it possible to measure features like the one the screen capture?  For the 10 years that I've used a probe Iv only used it with VPS interface.

Dont mind my desktop. -

gage crop.png

Ok, I ran the calibration cycle I needed to run to use O9822.  I followed the example in the Inspection Plus book.  Problem I'm encountering is that the example is for a web feature.  I just need to insert the prove into the bore and have it measure the feature, and its not liking the code I'm using.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

19 hours ago, AMCNitro said:

Ok, I ran the calibration cycle I needed to run to use O9822.  I followed the example in the Inspection Plus book.  Problem I'm encountering is that the example is for a web feature.  I just need to insert the prove into the bore and have it measure the feature, and its not liking the code I'm using.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Throw up the code so we can review. There are certain ways to force ID and OD measurements.

This is the code I tried, with different values, of course.

1. T01M06 

2. G54X0Y0 

3. G43H1Z100.0

4. G65 P9832 

5. G65P9810Z10.F3000 

6. G65P9822A30.D50.Z-10.S2 

7. G65P9810Z100. 

8. G65P9833 

9. G28Z100. 

I tried omitting some of the lines to see if it would do what I needed it to, but dice.  We're making gages for plastic parts and I was trying to measure at the machine.  IT going to be more of a learning experience for the next time, now I just want to know how.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, AMCNitro said:

This is the code I tried, with different values, of course.

1. T01M06 

2. G54X0Y0 

3. G43H1Z100.0

4. G65 P9832 

5. G65P9810Z10.F3000 

6. G65P9822A30.D50.Z-10.S2 

7. G65P9810Z100. 

8. G65P9833 

9. G28Z100. 

I tried omitting some of the lines to see if it would do what I needed it to, but dice.  We're making gages for plastic parts and I was trying to measure at the machine.  IT going to be more of a learning experience for the next time, now I just want to know how.

Thanks!

Code looks correct. What alarm are you getting when trying to run the program?

5 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Code looks correct. What alarm are you getting when trying to run the program?

it needs to stay in the pocket, that code makes it come up and out of the pocket, then when it goes down it gives the "unexpected surface" alarm.

3 hours ago, civiceg said:

If you need to probe a pocket, you feed to the desired depth with your protected move and remove the Z depth call in the measurement cycle. Otherwise it will treat it as a web.

Ill have to try that when I got more time.  Thank you!

On 8/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, AMCNitro said:

That is exaclty what I was looking for, thanks Colin!

Now, to the next question.  Is it possible to measure features like the one the screen capture?  For the 10 years that I've used a probe Iv only used it with VPS interface.

Dont mind my desktop. -

gage crop.png

I'd really need some more specifics of what you are trying to measure. Just the "diameter" of the counterbore (0.57186 hole), or are you trying to gauge "rotation" of the features in that pocket? I do not see a single "straight wall" in that pocket, just a series of tangent arcs, and the two "ramped surfaces" at the X- and X+ ends. Are you trying to determine the "size" of those features, or the angular rotation of the pocket as a whole?

To determine "size", I'd suggest running a "3-point Bore" (O9823) Macro, on each of the 4 Lobes, at the pocket corners. You must perform "Vector Calibration", to have success measuring bores "not at the quadrant positions". An example, would be the lobe in the X+ Y+ quadrant. You could use A30., B60., and C90., to make 3 hits on that radius. (See Variable Outputs - Chart 2 > #188 = "feature size", in this case "diameter".)

You could then save that output (#621 = #188), after executing the cycle, and then repeat the process, on the other 3 lobes, using #622 = #188, #623 = #188, and #624 = #188), where you are placing that equation just after each cycle being executed, to capture the results, for each probing cycle.

NOTE: be sure you are cancelling "Block Lookahead", otherwise you won't get correct results. To cancel "lookahead", place > "G103 P1", just ahead of the equation. The G65 P9833 call should turn "lookahead back on". It doesn't hurt to place a "G103" on a line afterwards, just to be sure it is enabled.

The code below only shows execution of a single cycle. You'd need to repeat this in at the 3 other lobes, and save #188 results to a unique variable. Then, afterwards, you can compare the results, and make a judgement on "do you need to adjust Cutter Radius Compensation values to make the feature "on size".

G65 P9832 

G65 P9810 X25. Y40. (GO TO CENTER OF 3-POINT BORE)

G65P9810Z-10.F3000 (PROTECTED FEED TO DEPTH)

G65P9823A30.B60.C90.D50.

G103 P1

#621 = #188 

G65P9810Z100. 

G65P9833 

G103

G28Z100. 

english---renishaw-inspection-plus---programming-manual---2008.pdf

• Like 1