Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best Coating for Milling Inconel 625?

Hi all, I have done some Inconel in the past(700 series) but don't have a ton of experience with it. I have an upcoming job with some features like small .03" diameter corner reliefs and .05" dia. holes. My question is what is the best coating for Inconel 625? The stock is a 6.5" by 5" by 2" rectangle. I will be machining on a 5th axis into a semi circular cover of sorts. So there will be a lot of surfacing as well as those small features mentioned before. I did some searching online but found mostly Brand specific reccomendations like Helical's Tplus coating I know is good for Inconel but I am buying a custom dovetail tool from harvey and would like to know the best coating they offer specifically.

20 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I don't know this is what shows up under Harvey's build a tool section. On helical's site they recommend their T plus coating which I assume is TiAlN based on the copper color....So probably just go with the TiAlN? they call all their coatings a letter than plus Zplus must be ZRN and Aplus must be AlTiN and so on.... not sure about Nplus

coating.png

I'd assume (and you know what they say about that..) that NPlus is probably a nACRo or nACo, which from my understanding is basically a nano version of the AlCrN coating.  I know that it is harder (as in, cuts & wears better) than traditional AlCrN, but I don't have any real data to back that up. 

On 8/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Aaron Eberhard said:

I'd assume (and you know what they say about that..) that NPlus is probably a nACRo or nACo, which from my understanding is basically a nano version of the AlCrN coating.  I know that it is harder (as in, cuts & wears better) than traditional AlCrN, but I don't have any real data to back that up. 

NPlus is a coating they're using on their 5 flute roughing endmills, designed for aluminum.  I wasn't terribly impressed, but maybe my application wasn't the best.   

5 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

NPlus is a coating they're using on their 5 flute roughing endmills, designed for aluminum.  I wasn't terribly impressed, but maybe my application wasn't the best.   

Ah, perhaps a bad guess then if they're recommending it for aluminum.. I just extrapolated the only reasonably common coating I know that started with "N" :)