Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Has anyone actually been successful with lathe programming with MC???

Serious question, and I hope to find people that have used other programs.  It is probably a BIG sore point with me with MC.  Every rev promised "better", but it is still clunky IMO.  I am not talking about simple 2 axis paths.  I am talking 3 axis live tool, Y axis stuff, and all the extra prep codes that come with lathe work like running the turret to the work to bump stock to, bar pulling, parts catchers, etc.  I think it is inherent to program at the machine, but I strive to minimize that.  

I am probably exaggerating a touch but really curious if you guys have found your 'happy' with MC in lathe stuff?  Because outside this forum, it would seem my thoughts are shared by many, and most won't even touch CAM for their lathe work.  I can't imagine mill paths by hand.  

6 hours ago, honeybunches said:

really curious if you guys have found your 'happy' with MC in lathe stuff?

I have modified several posts for single spindle/single turret Y axis full 4 axis, and for twin spindle.

All machines were post and go.

Once you add a turret it gets more complicated. There are experienced lathe guys out there who run twin turrets with MP posts, but I am really a mill guy, so I would probably go with the new "machining environment" system if I had to handle one of these.

I noticed you other post referring to your frustration with your post provider. This is not unusual and is what prompted me to learn post editing.

I use it all the time and works fantastic. I sometimes use the canned cycles on the Haas TL-1. We get lots of model work with weird bumps or nose cones. Then yeah there is no way in hell I am going to program that by hand. Being able to verify for crash detection when you have a $10k 28inch devibe bar is a must. Also programmed tons of stuff with live tool on our SL-20. Turning plastic and having a chip break cycle. Boring cycles and having it come out of the hole after every pass to clear the chips.

I could not live without a good seat of a lathe cam software.

PS. Surfcam lathe software is absolutely terrible.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

We have a C-Axis DMG/ Mori lathe with live tooling. It has a Siemens 840D control. On the control is Siemens Shop Turn software, we use that for the simple stuff as it is copy and paste from existing programs. I honestly wouldn't want any other controller on a lathe after getting use to this. 

We do have Mastercam lathe and yes it works fine. We purchased a post from In-House and they worked hard to get it dialed in and continue to support it.

I program a lot of HRSA aerospace parts with turning operations and I couldn't be efficient without lathe CAM software.

In particular:  The Dynamic turning paths in Mastercam with tool inspection.  When I am using ceramic inserts and Dynamic turning Waspaloy and rotating the insert every 4 minutes, I wouldn't  be able to hand write that code.  

Also having my post dialed in so that I get a block number at every tool index.  If i have to change the tool inspection time, I just change one paramter, regen and re-post and send it to the machine again without hand edits.

Automatic Down cutting is another great feature that is often overlooked that can extend your tool life and the quality of the finish part.

CAM software will never be perfect.  We all have to find ways to "leverage" the software to give us the G-code that we need to get the jobe done.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

My main complaint with Lathe is I haven't found a way to switch between related toolpaths. I like that Mill has the Toolpath Type window at the top and I wish Lathe had that. It's really only a minor inconvenience sometimes, I just wonder why that isn't an option in Lathe? Unless it's right in front of me and I just haven't noticed it.

55 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

My main complaint with Lathe is I haven't found a way to switch between related toolpaths. I like that Mill has the Toolpath Type window at the top and I wish Lathe had that. It's really only a minor inconvenience sometimes, I just wonder why that isn't an option in Lathe? Unless it's right in front of me and I just haven't noticed it.

Problem is Lathe programming completely different than mill. Mill Toolpaths don't care about stock to make them. Lathe toolpaths do and since they do the logic for controlling what is under the hood is completely different. It they allowed switching on the fly there would need to be such a big database of data stored in the background to make that happen I cannot imagine how much bigger Mastercam would be on someone's computer to allow that. Then Lathe has 4 Axis combinations so now the upper or lower turret has to be accounted for. Then are you in the Left or the Right Spindle? Programming for a mill by it's vary nature is simple compared to what you can do with a lathe. Take a triple or quad turret lathe with Y axis on each turret and in all reality you have 17 independent programmable axis. Accounting for each one and not having collisions without a CAM Software can be done I have seen it. It was taking one customer 3-4 weeks to program and prove out programs with pencil and paper. They got CAM and were doing it one day.

Upper Left X-Y-Z-C 4 Axis

Lower Left X-Y-Z-C 4 Axis

Upper Right X-Y-Z-C 4 Axis

Lower Right X-Y-Z-C 4 Axis

Right Spindle in and out W axis.

That is how you have 17 programmable Axis.

Take a B Axis Mill/Turn with a lower Turret?

• Like 1

Though I have not pursued this at all, one thing that has caused major frustration is the loaded tools on the turret having a conflict with the stock, that is not fully realized until AFTER all programming and setup has been completed.  In at least one case, I think we could fix some of this by ditching the 3 jaw chuck for a collet, but as soon as we do, we will have chuck work!  lol  Never fails.  I have not tried to model up a turret and not even sure that is possible in MC.  In a mill, all other tools are not a problem.  Not the case with a lathe.  

My personal goal has always been to eliminate any need to edit at the machine.  I realize minor stuff is normal, but I have had to resort to cut/paste programs just to get things done.  

16 VTL's and C axis VTL's from 42" to 32 feet of swing, we run right angle heads on 6 of them 

There are 4 horizontal lathes including 1 C axis live spindle lathe

and two  5 axis lathes, a Mori Seiki NT600 and an Okuma VTM-1200 

all of them are programmed in Mastercam. 

We use Postability post for the complex machines and will switch all of them to Postability as time and the budget allow. 

• Thanks 1

I've programmed 2 though 11-Axis lathes with Mastercam.

Myself, I create 4 main tool path groups (UL, LL, UR, LR) then sub groups to manage my paths parallel processes and synchronizations. I used CAMplete for posting and waitcodes, but setting it up this way made it pretty straightforward. At least for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

I run a mazak integrex, when I use mastercam for turning I typically have template files setup for various part types I encounter often making it easy to program parts. This way all my toolpaths and tools are already there I just have to import and rechain geometry. I do have a millturn enviorment for my machine and have all 3d holders for turning which is especially helpful with clearances. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, NateP17 said:

I run a mazak integrex, when I use mastercam for turning I typically have template files setup for various part types I encounter often making it easy to program parts. This way all my toolpaths and tools are already there I just have to import and rechain geometry. I do have a millturn enviorment for my machine and have all 3d holders for turning which is especially helpful with clearances. 

Excellent process!!!!!

Using miilturn I am having to  edit in bar change cycles and part catcher cycles among others things.  I also can't simulate both spindles cutting at the same time.   I see the main spindle cut then the transfer then the right spindle. That's only half of the process.   I need to know where the turrets are when both spindles are processing.  

I can see the actual cutting g code not needing hand edits but an entire program functioning efficiently without some hand edits?  I haven't figured that yet with miilturn.   Not having access to the posts in millturn is painful for me.  

I was closer to edit free code how I liked it in standard lathe.

I am not giving up on millturn and will continue to use and learn it(only a few months), I just hope they open it up a bit in the future.  

On 8/27/2022 at 7:24 AM, tryon said:

Using miilturn I am having to  edit in bar change cycles and part catcher cycles among others things.  I also can't simulate both spindles cutting at the same time.   I see the main spindle cut then the transfer then the right spindle. That's only half of the process.   I need to know where the turrets are when both spindles are processing.  

I can see the actual cutting g code not needing hand edits but an entire program functioning efficiently without some hand edits?  I haven't figured that yet with miilturn.   Not having access to the posts in millturn is painful for me.  

I was closer to edit free code how I liked it in standard lathe.

I am not giving up on millturn and will continue to use and learn it(only a few months), I just hope they open it up a bit in the future.  

Communicate, Communicate, Communicate and Communicate to your dealer. There is no reason to be doing any of that. The MT group can dial it in if they have the information, but they cannot solve problem they are unaware of. If you have sent it in and getting no where then reach out directly to CNC Software and get them involved. I don't see Triple or Quad channel support in Mastercam simulation come anytime soon. We have Dual Channel support on the spindles with Pinch Turning, but one spindle seems to be the focus of the simulation engine at this time. With a True CAV will shine in a situation like this. Been years since I did 3 and 4 turret work and at the Time I felt NAKAMURA-TOME was doing a really good job with the control to show you timing codes and leveling out run times. Eurotech also does a good job along with Index. Mazak, Okuma and others have offerings, but at the same level as those three just can't be sure anymore.