Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CNC Mill To EDM Wire

BradyCNC

My shop currently has only one EDM wire guy so I've been thinking about learning myself on the side to be able to help out when necessary. Is there anyone on here that has done both? are they similar to program for or can I expect a learning curve? Do you have any reliable resources for learning?

On 8/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, BradyCNC said:

My shop currently has only one EDM wire guy so I've been thinking about learning myself on the side to be able to help out when necessary. Is there anyone on here that has done both? are they similar to program for or can I expect a learning curve? Do you have any reliable resources for learning?

Depending on what the jobs are, the learning curve is minimal for easy stuff, not so minimal if you are doing more complex work.

I came to this job about 5 years ago with no EDM experience at all and was able to pick it up quickly due to the fact that we mostly wire shapes into plates for the pressroom. Punches, punch holders, stripper plates, die plates etc.. So it was very easy. If that's similar to what you're doing, it's no sweat.

If you are doing more complex stuff with stacked parts or multi axis stuff then it will take longer to get up to speed. In that case I suspect your learning curve will be at the control, learning how to finesse the settings to get a good cut.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, BradyCNC said:

We're the same here. All tool and die, 2D, Cuts and Forms. Do you know of any resources I can use to learn? the one guy we have isn't super open to teaching lol so I'm trying to do it on my own as a backup in case the company ever needs it.

Unfortunately I don't. It's hard to find information on compared to milling. My boss showed me what I needed to get started.

There is an EDM subforum  on practicalmachinist which can be helpful, but even that isn't nearly as busy as the other boards on there.

What machine is it?

On 9/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, BradyCNC said:

We're the same here. All tool and die, 2D, Cuts and Forms. Do you know of any resources I can use to learn? the one guy we have isn't super open to teaching lol so I'm trying to do it on my own as a backup in case the company ever needs it.

This is interesting to me, our shop has 3 wire edms, running wire mastercam. and hes retired, so he shows up whenever he wants to. Might be a good idea to ask if they would teach me the machines. Like crazy^millman said, the mastercaming should be easy, the setup and the control will be the problem. My guy i think would not have a problem teaching me, if your guy does, i think that would be the biggest problem. Cant really learn a machine without actually being on the machine.