Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mpuvdd

Running a basic contour ramp around the rectangular portion of a part results in one of two results when ran on our Fanuc Onsrud router:

A. It ramps perfectly and cuts a rectangle with consistent 200 ipm feed rate

B. It ramps with the first leg being a rapid move and the rest of the tool path being normal G01 F200. (See highlighted code)

This happens on some parts but not all making me think the problem is driven by a geometry attribute. Any ideas?

MCAM 2018

Ill upload a zip2go when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Seth

A97B93C9-9F48-4040-942A-40DAA0181BAB.jpeg

211F300A-1AE7-44AB-906A-7DDFF1FDAD17.jpeg

FB400F1F-AD42-4164-AF5E-996F280AEC16.jpeg

7C534411-3D7B-4D57-AF7E-A52606EF9887.jpeg

0AF121C8-2219-4398-8FB1-ABF99E0340E7.jpeg

your linking parameters page is the problem. you must be fairly new to mastercam, which is fine. but you should look at the lines going to the part in the linking parameters page. Top of stock, and Depth are ok, Feed plane as far as ive used is always in incremental, a bit above the top of stock. you should be using Clearance anything above the top of stock, Retract isnt required.

if your new heres some free online training courses that may interest you, they are based off a newer version than what your using however most of the info on paths like that contour should be exactly the same. 

https://signup.mastercam.com/free-mastercam-training

just wanted to share this since you may not know that free training is available through mastercam

I think everyone zipped past it.  But if you read the code the first feed move is actually the arc move, it should be the first Z move where the F25. is called out (missing a G01).  My bet is it is actually a post issue, nothing to do with his mcam file.  The null toolchange position line likely isn't updating gcode to 0 likely commented in with "" and therefore modality thinks it is in G1 already... which it isn't.  Hence when the value changes to 3 for the first arc move it outputs a G03.  Does it do this any time you have two operations in a row with the same tool?  Quick fix/test would be to check the force tool change on the tool page and see if the behavior is corrected when coming in from a fresh "toolchange".

On 10/10/2022 at 7:07 PM, huskermcdoogle said:

I think everyone zipped past it.  But if you read the code the first feed move is actually the arc move, it should be the first Z move where the F25. is called out (missing a G01).  My bet is it is actually a post issue, nothing to do with his mcam file.  The null toolchange position line likely isn't updating gcode to 0 likely commented in with "" and therefore modality thinks it is in G1 already... which it isn't.  Hence when the value changes to 3 for the first arc move it outputs a G03.  Does it do this any time you have two operations in a row with the same tool?  Quick fix/test would be to check the force tool change on the tool page and see if the behavior is corrected when coming in from a fresh "toolchange".

ya husker, i wanna throw this into my computer tomorrow and see what it posts.

I'm curious to see what you find. I am still trying to make sense of it all. It seems that using Grime's first recommendation (add clearance and set feed plane to incremental) helped somewhat. Still, there are several bits of code missing a switch to G01. I tried the "force tool change" and did not notice any difference.

I'll have a better update tonight on what's going on and may upload another file as well.

Thanks thus far! You all have given me some hope!