Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best practices for rotary work and using planes

Doug Funny

Greetings All,

I'm working on a new part with several angled faces. We recently purchased a Pierson Rotovice to mount on a 4th axis to run jobs like this. I've attached a file with a (very) basic representation of the part I'm going to machine. What are the best practices for establishing planes and coordinate systems on a setup like this? Am I better off to use the center of rotation and face of the rotary as the origins for my planes and coordinate systems or should I use a tooling ball to establish them? I've always worked from center of rotation but, always looking for a better way of doing things. I'm still quite new to Mastercam and looking to establish best practices on how to handle these situations.

TIA,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry didn't download the file, but yes go with COR like you have been. The only thing I will tell customer is make an Artifact that i the exact height of your COR for establishing tools if you don't have an Tool setter on the machine. Also check the COR from time to time and make sure everything is where you need it to be.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

Sorry didn't download the file, but yes go with COR like you have been. The only thing I will tell customer is make an Artifact that i the exact height of your COR for establishing tools if you don't have an Tool setter on the machine. Also check the COR from time to time and make sure everything is where you need it to be.

That's what I figured, I just needed a sanity check...

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

We all need that from time to time. Why I am feel honored to have the team I get to work with and know the people I know to ask questions when I have them.

This has to be one of, if not he best forums I've ever been on. There are many smart, experienced people on here so willing to help. When I come here I know I'm standing in the shadows of gods... 😎