Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a Long Cutter Rule of Thumb?

parallax7761@comcast.net

I am using a 1/16th Endmill out .7874 which is around 12.5 times the Diameter of stick out. I am cutting 304 and wondering how much I should reduce my spindle RPM to help with the long length. Does anyone know of any good rules or equations to compensate for really long tool. This is only for a keyway that should be broached but we are milling it, so finish shouldn't be too much concern. 

The first rule is there really ain't no rule when you're in no man's land....tell me you're doing that in aluminum and I'll wince, in stainless.....I would plunge out as much as you can, then start wrapping $50 bills around the parts as you start breaking endmills...

Low, slow, light cuts and A LOT of them...

Mind you, most every part I program here requires a small endmill sticking out further than nature should allow...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use Harvey tools, the best for those beyond too long endmills. My longest was one of those 20X lengths. Less than 50% stepdown and very small step overs. I would use more than one small EM. Rough with a nice big tool and finish to size, then reduce endmill size so it cuts a small amount. Then use the remachining feature and look at it in verify and use all your talent to decide if its right. I used to drill corners, but it seems like a waste if you setup the passes well. 

Also, depending on part quantity and all, I might use a shorter/longer combo of the same size tool. No need to waste tool edges if you can use a shorter tool.

Just get your guys to indicate the tools. It's a better habit if you can get them to learn it!

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I am using a 1/16th Endmill out .7874 which is around 12.5 times the Diameter of stick out. I am cutting 304 and wondering how much I should reduce my spindle RPM to help with the long length. Does anyone know of any good rules or equations to compensate for really long tool. This is only for a keyway that should be broached but we are milling it, so finish shouldn't be too much concern. 

OOFF!!! Ill light a candle for you and say a prayer to the machining gods.

Like JP said low and slow.  For that type of job, I go the extra mile(and extra $$) and get Harvey endmills, worth it.  And try their machining advisor pro, it works nice.

Right now, I'm making a mold with .020 ball endmill.  Not a ton of material to remove, but one tool has done 6 cavities.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

In the Harvey 09/2022 book page 24 there are (2) 1/16" long neck end mills with 0.750 and 0.950 reach with 0.75 and 0.95 length of cut. This would be a much more rigid tool and you can get altin as a coating choice.

Tim, the cut length on those is at .187   I would try to maximize the shank, on pg 30-31 there are short flute versions that might do a tiny bit better in SS

• Like 1
On 10/27/2022 at 7:28 AM, cruzila said:

I use Harvey tools, the best for those beyond too long endmills. My longest was one of those 20X lengths. Less than 50% stepdown and very small step overs. I would use more than one small EM. Rough with a nice big tool and finish to size, then reduce endmill size so it cuts a small amount. Then use the remachining feature and look at it in verify and use all your talent to decide if its right. I used to drill corners, but it seems like a waste if you setup the passes well. 

Also, depending on part quantity and all, I might use a shorter/longer combo of the same size tool. No need to waste tool edges if you can use a shorter tool.

Just get your guys to indicate the tools. It's a better habit if you can get them to learn it!

Thanks, I agree Harvey does make some amazing tools. Also we did use a series of shorter endmills for the top 2/3 of keyway. I will try HSMadvisor out as well. Thank you all for your insights and help.

• Like 1