Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Net Surface chaining issue

Doug Funny

Greetings All,

I'm trying to create a net surface but, it's telling me a path can't be found between the 1st and last entity. It's when I'm trying to select the curved chain going across. It doesn't matter which one I try, I get the same error. I tried running chain analysis, find overlap and delete duplicate. What am I missing? I've created this surface once and I wanted to add the arc on the RH side.

TIA,

Doug

CHAIN.png

CHAIN.mcam

18 minutes ago, The Chipmaker said:

Try the two ends first than the straight lines. Direction does matter. You must be using 2023 so I can't open your file. Hope this helps.

Yes, I'm running 2023. We just changed from Camworks to Mastercam this past summer.

My reseller got back to me on this. He had no answer as to why it chained one way but, not the other. He said a sweep surface would have been a better choice to generate the surface. The net surface worked but, I got an error message with regards to the "chamfered" edge exceeding 10°. In the end I got the surface I needed

28 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I would use Sweep.

See this video I created from your file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9skimdlgil1lpt3/Sweep.mp4?dl=0

NICE!, thank you! My reseller showed me the same thing but, only using 1 of the straight line. One thing I noticed is that this creates 2 separate surfaces. At the end of the day it's not a big deal but, is there a way to join them into 1 surface? That was the nice thing about using the net surface, it created a single surface

Thanks,

Doug

28 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

You can create sheet solids instead of the surfaces and boolean them together. 

I'll give it a whirl! Thank you

Love this forum! There are a lot of very smart people here willing to share their knowledge. If I posted questions on a Camworks forum, it could be weeks before someone answered. If you even got a response at all. More often than not, I get answers here before my reseller gets back to me

Thanks again,

Doug

31 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I was able to do the boolean operation but, when I go to use it for a 3d toolpath, it sees them as separate faces. We only have level 1 mill so, I'm only able to machine a sigle surface at a time. It's not the end of the world if I have to machine each face as it's own cycle. we don't do a lot of 3D stuff anyway. It's typically little blends like this

Am I asking too much of the software at this point?

If your sides are straight (i.e., not influencing the shape), for something like this, I'd use a Lofted surface. You don't need the straight lines:

image.png.95487d5ebe3000f44e10e68005d574b6.png

Note that it will still be two surfaces, as mathematically surfaces can't a sharp intersection and maintain it like in the left little surface.   Now, if you want it to be all one surface, your best bet is to put a little fillet between the corner, it doesn't have to be big, .001" will be fine:

image.png.9dfadbe91fa09c377196ca9ed96d1ae2.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

If your sides are straight (i.e., not influencing the shape), for something like this, I'd use a Lofted surface. You don't need the straight lines:

image.png.95487d5ebe3000f44e10e68005d574b6.png

Note that it will still be two surfaces, as mathematically surfaces can't a sharp intersection and maintain it like in the left little surface.   Now, if you want it to be all one surface, your best bet is to put a little fillet between the corner, it doesn't have to be big, .001" will be fine:

image.png.9dfadbe91fa09c377196ca9ed96d1ae2.png

Thanks, I try to remember this next time