Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Peel Mill Help

Hertz

Good morning, I have a part here that I need to do a cutout on, and I had thought maybe peel mill was the best option. My question is, how can I control the length of the loops it's making? See picture. I am getting quite the amount of air cutting at the start of the operation, and then the amount of distance it goes to make a loop is really far. Can this be controlled?

peel.JPG

43 minutes ago, Hertz said:

I am using Dynamic peel Mill lol.

I can certainly post the file. It's attached. ?

DISTRIBUTION CAP 2ND OP.mcam 6.33 MB · 0 downloads

There's Dynamic, and there's Peel Mill.  Similar, but different.  Peel Mill is more for slots, you only need 2 chains.  For what you're doing you want to use Dynamic.  Draw a complete circle of the O.D. of your part, use that as your Machining Area.  Then chain the contour you want to cut, including the round part, that will be your avoidance area.  

I have 2021, so I can't open your file, otherwise I'd do it for you

Check out this example. One thing I noticed is you aren't using any Filtering in your operations. You can really cut down on the amount of NC Code you're generating if you enable Filtering, especially on the Dynamic style toolpaths.

DISTRIBUTION CAP 2ND OP_Dynamic-with-Filtering.mcam

I used a combination of 3 chains:

- machining region > what you want to "cut"

- avoidance region > what you want the toolpath "to avoid"

- air region > areas of the machining region that "are open for approach".

Without using the combination of air & avoidance, the path can "wrap around" the edges of the open slot...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Also, it would be helpful for you to learn and use "Incremental Depths" for chaining. The "Incremental Linking" option is not G90/G91. It refers to "incremental depth, based on geometry depth. This allows you to utilize "multiple chains", each at different depths, inside the same toolpath. The combination of "Absolute/Incremental" Linking in the path can be very powerful, depending on where your actual Top of Stock sits "in the Z dimension".

One other thing I did was to use "Reference Approach & Retract Points", for different paths, based on the tool number repeating. So, for example, there were two paths using the same 1/2" diameter Bull Tool. I set a "3.0 Absolute" Approach Point in the first path, and a "3.0 Absolute" Retract Point in the 2nd path. Then, in each operation, disabled Clearance, and used a 0.25" Retract Height. This allows a "high approach and retract", at the first point where the tool is used, and the final retract when the tool goes home, but then "operation-to-operation" the tool only retracts up to a safe value as it repositions. I did this on the final two paths as well (same tool).

• Like 2