Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating MC file with new rev Solid

JB7280

I have a fairly complex file, with close to 600 toolpaths.  The customer has made a number of changes, with a handful of changes to the model.  I'd like to wipe out the old models, and replace with the new model.  Is there an efficient method of doing this?   Or will I need to actually go in and replace driving geometry one toolpath at a time? 

4 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I have a fairly complex file, with close to 600 toolpaths.

You're going to be better off doing it that way on this...simple, not too complex parts you can use "Change Recognition"  

As I end up doing just what you're about to, more than I care to admit....I will "usually" convert and areas that need 3D milling to surfaces.....and only use wireframe to drive paths....this way, I can easiy dump the old solids and go through to see what matches and doesn't with the new geometry.

8 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I have a fairly complex file, with close to 600 toolpaths.  The customer has made a number of changes, with a handful of changes to the model.  I'd like to wipe out the old models, and replace with the new model.  Is there an efficient method of doing this?   Or will I need to actually go in and replace driving geometry one toolpath at a time? 

I'm with JP. I typically rebuild the paths from top-to-bottom on complex parts.

Remember that you can "Right-Click, Drag-and-Drop" geometry, and "replace" it in toolpaths, but it doesn't work with Solids, only surfaces/wireframe. And I'm not sure that works with the new "Tree style" geometry selections for most of the paths. I typically do this with chains and arcs/points for drilling ops, but will go manually select surfaces for operations.

14 minutes ago, JParis said:

You're going to be better off doing it that way on this...simple, not too complex parts you can use "Change Recognition"  

As I end up doing just what you're about to, more than I care to admit....I will "usually" convert and areas that need 3D milling to surfaces.....and only use wireframe to drive paths....this way, I can easiy dump the old solids and go through to see what matches and doesn't with the new geometry.

A coworker of mine who has been using mastercam for quite a long time says he does this, and almost never drives toolpaths off of solid.  Only wire and surfaces.  But wouldn't this leave you with lots and lots of surfaces?  Are they more or less "bulky" than solids, when it comes to resources and file size?  I've got quite a bit of Optirough toolpaths on this part, and it seems like using surfaces would be much more cumbersome.  But maybe I'm just not doing it right

Do you usually output the entire part as surfaces? or only what you need?

2 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

But wouldn't this leave you with lots and lots of surfaces? 

I suppose that would be part specific.....but just easier to manage when dealing with Rev changes in my experience

2 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Are they more or less "bulky" than solids, when it comes to resources and file size? 

They are lighter in the toolpath calculation as they are only calculating on the slected surfaces instead of the entire solid as many people just select the whole thing. They are less bulky but I still keep the solid in the file.

3 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I've got quite a bit of Optirough toolpaths on this part, and it seems like using surfaces would be much more cumbersome. 

Tough to say but typcially, create ONLY the surfaces you need off the solid....I find many times I only have to do a bulk creation once or twice...then it's just area that weren't covered in the bulk areas.

5 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Do you usually output the entire part as surfaces? or only what you need?

Only what I need

1 hour ago, JParis said:

I suppose that would be part specific.....but just easier to manage when dealing with Rev changes in my experience

They are lighter in the toolpath calculation as they are only calculating on the slected surfaces instead of the entire solid as many people just select the whole thing. They are less bulky but I still keep the solid in the file.

Tough to say but typcially, create ONLY the surfaces you need off the solid....I find many times I only have to do a bulk creation once or twice...then it's just area that weren't covered in the bulk areas.

Only what I need

Thank you!   I'll play around with this tomorrow