Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MP post processor training

Huneil Campbell

• Huneil Campbell changed the title to MP post processor training
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, Huneil Campbell said:

Any recommendations on MP post processor training? 

Just because i am curious are you looking to learn how to do this to get into a career path writing posts? the only reason i ask is unless you need to make a ton of posts i cant imagine learning it on your own would cost less (in time and effort that is) compared to hiring some pros like In house solutions post team or postability or even your local reseller. and sometimes people just are not aware that there are post developers out there and typically prices are very competitive since there are a lot of post teams competing for work out there. 

Im just curious, Like I still have people change my oil in my truck because its easier to let the pros that do it all day long get it done for me and its reasonably priced to get an oil change compared to me dealing with it, i feel the same way personally with posts, like sure i would love to know how to make any edit i want and i would love to have the post knowledge that Colin has and some of the other great post devs around the world have but its like if this is something your going to do one time for your shop and thats it you could save a lot of time and efforts and avoid alot of problems by just purchasing one from some pros. Any local mastercam reseller can provide post pricing and can get you in touch with the best post dev for your applications so reaching our to your reseller would be best if you want to go this route,

but ultimately more power to you for wanting to learn more about posts and with participating in these forums you have the best foot forward

14 hours ago, JoshC said:

Just because i am curious are you looking to learn how to do this to get into a career path writing posts? the only reason i ask is unless you need to make a ton of posts i cant imagine learning it on your own would cost less (in time and effort that is) compared to hiring some pros like In house solutions post team or postability or even your local reseller. and sometimes people just are not aware that there are post developers out there and typically prices are very competitive since there are a lot of post teams competing for work out there. 

Im just curious, Like I still have people change my oil in my truck because its easier to let the pros that do it all day long get it done for me and its reasonably priced to get an oil change compared to me dealing with it, i feel the same way personally with posts, like sure i would love to know how to make any edit i want and i would love to have the post knowledge that Colin has and some of the other great post devs around the world have but its like if this is something your going to do one time for your shop and thats it you could save a lot of time and efforts and avoid alot of problems by just purchasing one from some pros. Any local mastercam reseller can provide post pricing and can get you in touch with the best post dev for your applications so reaching our to your reseller would be best if you want to go this route,

but ultimately more power to you for wanting to learn more about posts and with participating in these forums you have the best foot forward

Tell you what. I learned at first simply becasue I wanted to...nothing more, nothing less.

Doing so has served my exceedingly well. Any place I went to work in a shop, I was able to get the posts dialed in the way they needed to be...it served me well in my years working for a Reseller between edits that would come in and going out on the road to people's places and get them dialed in...

It has left me for the most part 100% self-sufficient. 

In my current employ, I have bought several posts for machines I "could" have done myself, if, I had the time to do so....but even then, changes that I can make to my purchased post, I handle myslef.

I not only did it to learn a skill but it has helped me be vastly more successful than I would otherwise have been.

Knowledge is power

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, JParis said:

Tell you what. I learned at first simply becasue I wanted to...nothing more, nothing less.

Doing so has served my exceedingly well. Any place I went to work in a shop, I was able to get the posts dialed in the way they needed to be...it served me well in my years working for a Reseller between edits that would come in and going out on the road to people's places and get them dialed in...

It has left me for the most part 100% self-sufficient. 

In my current employ, I have bought several posts for machines I "could" have done myself, if, I had the time to do so....but even then, changes that I can make to my purchased post, I handle myslef.

I not only did it to learn a skill but it has helped me be vastly more successful than I would otherwise have been.

Knowledge is power

I agree and was not trying to say learning anything is bad or trying to discourage anyone, my point was only that time is money and sometimes buying something outright instead of doing it yourself can be a big savings, but anything you make yourself will mean a lot more to you and you have a better understanding of the innerworkings and how to fix things so i encourage everyone to keep on learning and never stop trying to learn new things. Sometimes people out there don't even realize how affordable some of the posts are now a days compared to tooling or the machine itself and considering all that the post is doing. Some day i will certainly be taking a deep dive into posts, i think the next main thing i wanted to focus on learning personally though was nethooks or c-hooks, making some goals for myself in the new year to get myself more familiar with that stuff because i think that stuff is really neat but posts would also be really sweet to have a great understanding of some day :)

• Like 1