Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Odd depth of cut glitch, help needed

jonathan joseph

Probably just a rookie mistake but I've got a program that is not running at the depth programmed. 32 parts on a 48x96 sheet of plastic on a router. Using X8 ( I know it's old, but it works for me every day usually) 

The first row of parts for some reason want to run about .5" deeper than the rest. When I switch my view to the front and I use backplot to simulate it I can see the depth of the toolpath on the first row of parts is different and deeper than the rest. They are all in the same operation using the same parameters so I'm lost. What am I doing wrong? I started to run it on the machine but quickly realized it was way too deep. 

Thanks in advance as always. 

Jonathan 

32TRIANGLEPARTS.mcx-8

Sorry let me clarify a little. It is plunging into the material and starting the ramp .5 lower than it should. starts ramp at about .25. Feed plane is set to 1". Top of stock to .75". Depth of cut to .025. 

It did in fact though cut into my table almost .5 deep. Despite not showing that in the program. 

You can see the difference in height at the start of the ramp between the two different tool paths despite them both being in the same operation

I usually have the top of my stock set at 0.0 in Z, that way all my cutting moves are Z negatives (easier for me to look at the Gcode).

In your file if you go to backplot and step through it, it is doing a rapid move to 1.0" positive, then feeding to 0.75" (top of your stock). Then it starts ramping as it should. Not sure how you setup your machine or what the Gcode looks like.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to not follow up on this post. I greatly appreciate all the attempts to help. It turned out that I had a mechanical problem on my z axis. The z-axis ball screw upper bearing block had a lock nut that had come loose and the bearing was literally moving up and down. It would jam all the way up when the spindle rose up to max z then stay there for a while but eventually work its way back down. Fixed now.

Thanks again 

Jonathan 

• Like 1