Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Toolpath Direction - for the Gloops.

Kampfzentrum

I've searched the big bad Internet all over and got multiple leads but no answer. The question is simple. How to change a Dynamic toolpath machining from left to right to right to left. Please don't say Toolpath Transform via Mirror unless you know it actually works. I played with it for a while and still got this same starting path. Now here's the oddity No. 1: Mastercam gives you the option to create an "Approximate start point" but I've NEVER seen this work inside of Mastercam - not even sure why it exists. Oddity No. 2: I've specifically allowed - through the toolpath control geometry - Mastercam a poopload of area to put the tool down in, but nope! It wants to put it down into the small itty-bitty area that it has on the opposite side.

People will ask, women will whisper, "Why does he need the toolpath to go right to left (on the righthand machining operation)? Because this plate will get thinner as it machines and I'd rather machine towards the workholding (vise) than away where rigidity will weaken. 

So, simple question, hopefully simple answer: How do I change the direction of the righthand toolpath to run right to left. See image if unclear.

Explanation.png

10 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Only way I can think of would be to mirror the toolpath using Transform. Your logic makes perfect sense, but without a file to play along with at home so the those who like to tinker can tinker with it can try things that is all I got for you. :construction:

Play away!

An imaginary beer will be bought for you upon solving. I couldn't get the Transform to work. It just wanted to recreate the same starting point.

95525D0050_A.mcam

Just extended the chain our far enough to allow the tool to start on the outside and it did exactly what you wanted. Easy peasy. Use inside as the control and done.

Remember the chain is just a suggestion and the stock is the real boundary.

I did change the process to not peel mill the section, but dynamic the section. If you want the peel method back then just move the two chains back to the original place they were.

Thank you for sharing the file. This will be another subject of teaching when I go onsite and teach the Advance programming methods to customers.

Dropbox Link

Edited by crazy^millman
Changed to a Dropbox Link
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Just extended the chain our far enough to allow the tool to start on the outside and it did exactly what you wanted. Easy peasy. Use inside as the control and done.

Remember the chain is just a suggestion and the stock is the real boundary.

I did change the process to not peel mill the section, but dynamic the section. If you want the peel method back then just move the two chains back to the original place they were.

Thank you for sharing the file. This will be another subject of teaching when I go onsite and teach the Advance programming methods to customers.

image.thumb.png.d80ce1f56ebb9d55784c573e2753a472.png

5TH_AXIS_95525D0050_A.mcam 6.93 MB · 1 download

Yes...

I was in the habit of creating about .100 of clearance outside of the part for security that everything was getting machined. Looks like I need to eliminate that.

Much thanks for giving me the nudge in that direction. You get an ice cold Coors Light. What?! No NASCAR xxxx? How about a New Glarus Moon Man? No Coast Pale Ale is where it's at homie! Much thanks again!

3 hours ago, Kampfzentrum said:

Yes...

I was in the habit of creating about .100 of clearance outside of the part for security that everything was getting machined. Looks like I need to eliminate that.

Much thanks for giving me the nudge in that direction. You get an ice cold Coors Light. What?! No NASCAR xxxx? How about a New Glarus Moon Man? No Coast Pale Ale is where it's at homie! Much thanks again!

No worries and you learning along with others a different way to do something is all the reward I need.

The biggest take way I can hope for is that others is share a file.

I will be converting the attachment to a Dropbox link in the next week or so to allow me space to keep helping others.

• Like 3