Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D lathe tool creation

jlibey

Hey guys. We are attempting to create a custom 3D lathe tool. We are performing a face groove toolpath. Operation 27 is the face groove with a standard library lathe tool. It works as it should. Operation 28 is the same path with the 3D custom tool. It fails to keep the cutter inside the chain of the groove. I have had success creating 3D custom tools with OD operations. I feel we are missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3D TOOLING PROBLEM.mcam

Hopefully the convergence of the 14 Sandvik Teams at Tolland can drive model scanning methods into the 3D tools process. Too much of it is still manual by its very nature and error prone. With all the AI advancements we keep hearing about I would have thought by now processes like this would be more automated and streamlined. Still have one basic method for defining 3D lathe tools and not the machine driven process it should be. No Vertical or Horizontal process and nothing telling the end user all tools need to be defined in tool change position. Mastercam stick tools are not intuitive and still too many users trying to use both in a Mastercam file. Stick with one method 3D Tools or Stick. I don't blame them at all just from a training stand point fixing years of we had to do it this way to now we have to do it this way can be difficult for some people to wrap their brains around. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much from me too @AHarrison1! Exactly what @crazy^millman said, it just doesn't occur to you that since MasterCAM knows the insert's boundary in the cutting plane, it wouldn't be able to define a tool width, especially since you told it that you're defining a parting and grooving tool, so you assume it knows the width is important! I guess telling it what type of tool it is only affects how it filters the tool in the tool library, not what the tool actually does.