Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't generate a stock model

JB7280

I am trying to generate a stock model, so I can create a mesh, or stl for my next operation, but for some reason I cannot get a stock model to generate.  For initial stock shape I am choosing the Pmesh of the model for Op 3's stock.  Then I am choosing all of the toolpath in Op 3, and I get this response.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 090849.png

Are all previous operations clean? Can you run the operation through Verify using the previous stock model and everything looks correct? How tight of a tolerance are you making everything? Think of Stock models as visual aids more than accurate in process models for checking things. It can be done, but expect a major performance hit and if your computer is not up to the task it will not generate the stock model with no many operations or to tight of a tolerance.

If you can get it to run properly in Verify, save your Verify session as an STL file and use that to create your stock model

You lose associativity with the toolpaths that define the stock model doing it this way, but you get a much more

stable Mastecam file

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gcode said:

If you can get it to run properly in Verify, save your Verify session as an STL file and use that to create your stock model

You lose associativity with the toolpaths that define the stock model doing it this way, but you get a much more

stable Mastecam file doing it this way 

That's what i do, then  i make a stock model from job setup. it is usually faster this way for me

3 hours ago, gcode said:

stable Mastercam file

Hollow stock models are always the issue I run into doing it that way. I have to use the STL to make the Stock model. Then I have to make a Mesh to a level in Mastercam and then grab the mesh that was created to the level as the model to get a non hollow stock model. Our group calls it the mesh wash process to get around the hollow stock models from Verify. The other issues is sending file to customers with externally like STL files blows up the Mastercam file with no traceable way unless you label the stock model the same name as the STL file and then label a level in Mastercam or make a manual entry comment to tell someone receiving a file that Stock Model 1 is just that in the STL folder or place where you are linking external stl files for creates Stock models.

3 hours ago, gcode said:

stable Mastecam file

This is what I ended up doing, I'm just not sure why it wouldn't let me do it the way I've done it so many times.

4 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Are all previous operations clean? Can you run the operation through Verify using the previous stock model and everything looks correct? How tight of a tolerance are you making everything? Think of Stock models as visual aids more than accurate in process models for checking things. It can be done, but expect a major performance hit and if your computer is not up to the task it will not generate the stock model with no many operations or to tight of a tolerance.

Yes, all of the operations referenced in the stock model are clean.  Everything looked good in verify, as I ended up using verify to generate an STL.  

.001 initial shape tolerance, .005 Path tolerance, .001 tool shape tolerance.  Why am I using these numbers in particular?  No idea.  But they're the same tolerances I've used for a long long time.  I found that too big was causing issues when using them for Opti-Rest toolpaths.

8 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

.001 initial shape tolerance, .005 Path tolerance, .001 tool shape tolerance.  Why am I using these numbers in particular?  No idea.  But they're the same tolerances I've used for a long long time.  I found that too big was causing issues when using them for Opti-Rest toolpaths.

Depending on the part it can be a problem. 72" parts can get away with a .02 tolerance, but 12" parts cannot now. Really comes down to so many factors when using stock models. My current project has 14 different stock models and none of them are used for finishing or comparison of the finished part. I am most time using an external CAV to check part so it is rare I use Verify. I use backplot and showing the toolpath on the screen. That looks good then on to CAV where I get a better idea what  am really getting verses the process Verify uses.

Then we get the random corrupt Stock Model when using a lot of stock models. Things will be going great and you need to make a change ans the tree goes dirty and you get the 10 minutes of reprocessing stock model wait time. Do that about 5-10 times and without fail for me it seems one of those stock models gets stuck in a processing loop to infinity. Was only take 30 seconds to one minutes gets no where after 30 minutes to one hour. 3 Finger salute then you have to go to Verify make that stock model where you need it and go through the whole washing of the stock model to get the non hollow stock model. 2022 was not very good with Stock models like this 2021 was better and 2023 seemed pretty stable, but many customers refused to go to 2023 and have stuck us with using 2022. 4 hours of my morning wasted fighting stock models.

When you know the Stock model isn't going to work. Pulling 90 GB of memory.

image.thumb.png.ae8a1883513d2253b26dba6cf2cb29fb.png