Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing passes with HST Raster

Sigurd

I have attached the part I'm working on, the surfaces in orange. I would usually cut areas like this with Area Rough and either Raster, Equal Scallop or Hybrid to finish. However, in this case, the radius is .0625", so multiple passes down the middle with a 1/8" ballnose would do the job. I can get Raster to make a pass down the middle, but only at final depth. 2D Contour with Cut Parameters -> Contour Type -> 3D is close, but it jams the tool straight down into the stock on the downhill move. Is there a way to accomplish what I'm looking for?

Thanks.

raster test.jpg

raster test.mcam

Make a process to create the needed geometry using transform. Take the Raster and use Transform between points. You want 10 passes at .01 then here you go. Apply the arc filter to get good wireframe you are going to save out of the toolpath. Back plot and save to a level. Then move the needed Geometry for each pass. Then use 3D contour using that backplotted and changed geometry to rough. Then you are goo to go. A little bit of work, but the only other way I thought might was was Curve 5 Axis in a 3 Axis output. Nope doing what I suggested with backplot will do it every time exactly like you want, just requires a little work is all.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jake L said:

I feel like I'm missing something here. What's the problem with just offsetting the chain? (as shown)

Is it just extra steps that we're trying to avoid? Or is this bad practice?

JakeL raster test.mcam 3.31 MB · 1 download

That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, but within a surface toolpath. I can't say if it's bad practice to create and offset wireframe.

I do not have 5-axis.

I don't use 2021 anymore but as every thing in Mastercam can be done different ways... here is another one.

You can make raster toolpath stock aware using 'maximum stock engagement' to make semi-finishing pass.

- Copy and model prep your solid to make your stock

- Copy your original toolpath for each pass you need. example, if you need 6*0.01 pass, you will need 6 toolpaths overall.

- Check 'Maximum stock engagement' in stock tab and link your stock model.

- 1st toolpath enter in 0.01, 2nd enter in 0.02,... last one will be your original finishing toolpath untouched.

image.png.5c4a77435ac0c283a9d164a3d34c1f43.png

image.thumb.png.8d3b11e3ab44a28103d79c27c0b7720c.png

• Like 6
5 hours ago, David Colin said:

I don't use 2021 anymore but as every thing in Mastercam can be done different ways... here is another one.

You can make raster toolpath stock aware using 'maximum stock engagement' to make semi-finishing pass.

- Copy and model prep your solid to make your stock

- Copy your original toolpath for each pass you need. example, if you need 6*0.01 pass, you will need 6 toolpaths overall.

- Check 'Maximum stock engagement' in stock tab and link your stock model.

- 1st toolpath enter in 0.01, 2nd enter in 0.02,... last one will be your original finishing toolpath untouched.

image.png.5c4a77435ac0c283a9d164a3d34c1f43.png

image.thumb.png.8d3b11e3ab44a28103d79c27c0b7720c.png

David that is a good trick I learned a new way to do it. Thank you sharing'

• Like 2