Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tips on dynamic facing toolpath - single direction

ThickChips

Hi all,

I am looking to get some insight on how to dynamically face a feature. The current toolpath is inefficient due to the geometry of the part. Its a 2D simple facing operation and has quite a bit of air cutting.

I was wondering if there's a better solution for increasing chip cut time and what you would recommend trying.

Please see attached file and image. I can't describe it much better.

Note:  cut direction must be the same as depicted below due to workholding requirements.

Best,

Capture.PNG

Dynamic_face.mcam

I think you might have to make multiple facing operations, with appropriately sized boundaries.  I would personally use an Optirest toolpath, but it seems that your workholding limits that.  For the record, I'm not able to download the file at the moment, so there may be a better way.

34 minutes ago, gcode said:

Create a plane looking down the C.L of the part

draw a circle the diameter of the part and use it with the Trim toolpath

this may work, it may not

Clever.

My trim toolpath is worthless. Allows me to select the geometry. Then the entire trim toolpath element disappears if clicked on? V2022

44 minutes ago, ThickChips said:

Clever.

My trim toolpath is worthless. Allows me to select the geometry. Then the entire trim toolpath element disappears if clicked on? V2022

I believe you can tell it to trim inside or outside your circle

or

you may have to get creative and draw a rectangle above the part then define the bottom of it as the stock boundary of your part

trim boundry.jpg

I used Area Rough, with STL Stock. (Created an "extrude solid" to create the STL.)

Try putting both in your "Downloads Folder", but you may have to re-pick the STL in the Operation.

I had to use "Maximum Depth", to limit the toolpath to the final Z-passes, otherwise the path wanted to "round" the edges.

Dynamic_face_Area-Rough.mcam Dynamic_face_stock.stl

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

This is what makes this forum what it is. :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

It is also what makes this forum so much fun. Sometimes I need a 10 minute break from dealing with the stress of my day job, so being able to "play" with something like this feels like a puzzle, and is a welcome respite from some of the things I have to deal with. Always nice to come into a test like this with an open mind, and be able to get a good result that helps someone learn. I'm not always successful, and in those case, there is often someone else who is, so I just end up learning something new from them instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Apologies for not responding and digging up this thread again. End of the year came a bit too fast. Today I am tying up loose ends.

I tried @David Colin file. I dont quite understand it fully but I think its using rest material to dynamically mill ? 

@Colin Gilchrist

I like the approach but unfortunately violates the requirement of needs to force the cut direction one way. Is it possible to modify? 

Thanks for everyone's help.