Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Macro keyboard suggestions

CNCZACK

Ive been comfortable with the use of short cuts and have been looking into getting a macro keyboard to maybe speed some of the repetitive clicks and not have have my hand always on the keyboard. Any suggestions? Im pretty happy with my mouse, also does anyone notice gaining and speed with a macro? 

I use a keyboard with macro keys built in and an mmo mouse, also have a Streamdeck for other functions. It makes life easier for me. Results may vary.

Anyone's first journey into macro keys, I would suggest an mmo mouse. What mouse are you using now?

I use the Razer Naga Trinity Mouse. It has swappable configurations, so between 2 and 12 programmable buttons. I've used other mmo mice (logitec, corsair), but this one is my favourite so far.

Keyboard, Corsair K95, it has a bank of 6 programmable buttons on the left side. I also prefer the mechanical keys on these, though that has nothing to do with macros.

Streamdeck, I use the XL. The number of programmable keys is endless for all of them once you use sub menus, I just picked the one with more buttons.

Companies like Koolertron have customizable keyboards, a little more budget friendly too. I've not used them so can't offer much.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, mwearne said:

I use a keyboard with macro keys built in and an mmo mouse, also have a Streamdeck for other functions. It makes life easier for me. Results may vary.

Anyone's first journey into macro keys, I would suggest an mmo mouse. What mouse are you using now?

I use the Razer Naga Trinity Mouse. It has swappable configurations, so between 2 and 12 programmable buttons. I've used other mmo mice (logitec, corsair), but this one is my favourite so far.

Keyboard, Corsair K95, it has a bank of 6 programmable buttons on the left side. I also prefer the mechanical keys on these, though that has nothing to do with macros.

Streamdeck, I use the XL. The number of programmable keys is endless for all of them once you use sub menus, I just picked the one with more buttons.

Companies like Koolertron have customizable keyboards, a little more budget friendly too. I've not used them so can't offer much.

currently i use a logitech G305. I do like the idea of a mouse thats has the additions. only reason id be more hesitent is i just bought these tow so id have matching ones at work and home lol. how do you like the naga mouse? it looks like those buttons are small. are they hard to hit the correct one? 

Logitech G602/604 Mouse: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LIGHTSPEED-programmable-connectivity-hyper-fast-dp-B07QN369XX/dp/B07QN369XX/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Redragon Keyboard: https://www.redragonzone.com/products/redragon-k550-rgb-yama-131-key-rgb-led-illuminated-backlit-mechanical-keyboard?_pos=1&_sid=3ba05bf17&_ss=r

3d Connexion Space Mouse Pro: https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-3DX-700040-SpaceMouse-Pro-Mouse/dp/B006GPZ17K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EKI6FZ8NKV5U&keywords=3d+connexion+space+mouse&qid=1672750890&s=electronics&sprefix=3d+conn%2Celectronics%2C73&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

This is what I use and between the macro buttons on all of them, I have more than I need to do the job. I have a duplicate setup at both home and work so that I have continuity between both places. I find that I am pretty much crippled without them these days. 

One of the best things I have done is program the Enter button and Escape buttons onto my mouse. Now I can get in and out of ops without taking my hand off the mouse. I also have regen tool path and toggle tool path display on my mouse. Saves me a lot of wrist movement throughout the day.

• Thanks 1

It's on the left side of the keyboard right where it is in this pic.. and I usually have my thumb on the tab key of the regular keyboard to tab through settings etc while my right hand goes between the mouse and number pad on the right side.

I put a drop of  glue on the ESC key in the middle so I can feel the bump and get my hand centered without looking and put the most used commands nearest to that.

This is all I need. My needs seem to be simpler than a lot of people here. I looked into the space mouse etc. but it just seemed like a lot of money for not much return (again, for my simple needs)

I got this because with all the ALT-Key combinations we use, by the end of the day I'd go home with my left hand feeling like I had been flashing complicated gang signs all day lol, it's helped a lot because you can keep your left hand pretty much straight.

IMG_2515.JPG

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, volitan71 said:

It's on the left side of the keyboard right where it is in this pic.. and I usually have my thumb on the tab key of the regular keyboard to tab through settings etc while my right hand goes between the mouse and number pad on the right side.

I put a drop of  glue on the ESC key in the middle so I can feel the bump and get my hand centered without looking and put the most used commands nearest to that.

This is all I need. My needs seem to be simpler than a lot of people here. I looked into the space mouse etc. but it just seemed like a lot of money for not much return (again, for my simple needs)

I got this because with all the ALT-Key combinations we use, by the end of the day I'd go home with my left hand feeling like I had been flashing complicated gang signs all day lol, it's helped a lot because you can keep your left hand pretty much straight.

IMG_2515.JPG

😂 flashing gang signs. i can relate on this. i feel the same way about the space mouse. i might give this a try and see if if need be i can always upgrade. i dont like the idea of a large input into a huge setup that ill have to do at home as well. house did you make the little button icons? 

30 minutes ago, CNCZACK said:

😂 flashing gang signs. i can relate on this. i feel the same way about the space mouse. i might give this a try and see if if need be i can always upgrade. i dont like the idea of a large input into a huge setup that ill have to do at home as well. house did you make the little button icons? 

It comes with clear caps on the keys so you can put labels under them, they pop right off. I printed a screenshot of Mastercam and cut them out with scissors. I think I had  to play with the size to get it right, it was a while ago. I seem to remember putting some of them in Windows Paint or something to write the name under them.

If you get it let me know, I can send you the ones I have. Even if you don't use them maybe it will help at least to see the size of them.

*edit* Also, to answer your first post about gaining speed. I'm not really gaining any speed with this but my hand doesn't hurt at the end of the day like I said.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Vengeance said:

When creating macros, it is possible to add 24x24 pixels icons. How to get these pictures from the source files of the MC?

Right click on any whitespace on the ribbon and choose Customize the Ribbon. You can find all the icons in these lists. Screen grab and crop to whatever size you need, import those into your macros. The image doesn't have to be 24x24, 20x20 works just fine