Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam limitations

hamed.3d1372

Hi , im pllanning to learn mastercam at age of 30 , i have worked with other cadcam solutions and faced their limitations and i want to choose the best , but my questions are what are the limitations of mastercam in terms of toolpath creation and performance ?

i do have researched alot thru youtube , google , any possible sources , honestly mastercam doesn't have any problem in terms of toolpath creation , ( i'm planning to use mastercam for 4 axis and 3 axis wood working )  but there is one thing that i noticed is performance issues m currently im trying to push mastercam to it's limitation , cause in woodworking industry time is gold and using one simple raster to create a wooden column is no good , creating a gcode with stacking 300 or more operations on top of each other will reduce machining time to less than 1/5 (modeling in surfaces ) but the problem is cad cam software are stable with one or two operation m but when it comes to multiple operations they will collapse and continue working will be impossible .

i reached my hands on mastercam at one of my friends workshops i tried out some of the toolpath commands ( I want to just select some surfaces and create offset toolpath thats it) after a quiet wrestling with software i find out "Unified multiaxis" is what i want , but there was a thing , after stacking up 200 operations the pc starts to freeze up and act laggy like others.

1. am i doing it right ? is unified multiaxis any good for 4 axis toolpath generation ? or is there any specific toolpath or what i want  ? (also the size of saved file drastically increase because of gauge geometry ??)

2. is mastercam capable of handling 300 more toolpaths stacking on top of each other ?

3. is it possible to suppress or disable previous toolpaths to make it possible to continue working ? ( cause im suspicious that mastercam is calculationg toolpath links live )

4. another problem that i had (not a problem ) but framerate for an imported ~100mb solid igs was terrible for a 1070 ti asus rog gpu idk if any requested softwares like drivers or directx was needed or installed there but what i want to know if this is normal or not ? mastercam was working very fine with lighter models but as the models started to getting heavier mastercam struggles to handling the model

4.5 . is there any prefered strategy in mastercam to let the software to be able to run alot of gcodes?

5.what is the best hardware spec (and also medium) to run mastercam ?

Screenshot (100).png

17 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

The only limitations are really what your computer system can handle and how much time you are willing to dedicate to learning the software, everyday is a learning day for myself. MC is a very capable software.

There are 3rd party addons for automating the software such as TheeByte.com

https://theebyte.com/

Sir, what computer do i need to Buy? I want maximum efficiency 

i'll send you a 100mb igs solid model if your computer is stable for industrial models and if you open it and capture your screen for us to preview the framerate from your pc maybe ?

1 minute ago, hamed.3d1372 said:

Sir, what computer do i need to Buy? I want maximum efficiency 

That is a subjective question. What is your budget? How long do you want to use the system before upgrading it? Desktop or laptop?

IMHO a system that will last 4-5 years without needing an upgrade you will spend ~ $5K on it.

i9-13900k CPU

64GB ram, 128 if you can afford it.

RTX A4000 graphics card

2x 1 TB Samsung EVO Pro SSD

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

That is a subjective question. What is your budget? How long do you want to use the system before upgrading it? Desktop or laptop?

IMHO a system that will last 4-5 years without needing an upgrade you will spend ~ $5K on it.

i9-13900k CPU

64GB ram, 128 if you can afford it.

RTX A4000 graphics card

2x 1 TB Samsung EVO Pro SSD

so gtx or rtx graphics cards are not good for mastercam software ?  , i'll gather this exact system config

also the question no.3 really annoying me really want an answer for that , if i want to start to work with mastercam the limitation of having limited toolpath operations will kill me is there any way to suppress or ignore those previous ones ?

i don't have access to mastercam right now , (the educational version is gettin downloaded right now 😅) , but i need to be 100 percent sure to get to this if some one like helps i'll seriously payback cause there is gigantic amount of money transfers in the company that were working so ...

In the toolpath manager there is a ghost and also a lock feature. Best course of action is to use Toolpath groups and sub groups. This way you can out the existing operations in 1 group (lock them) and generate a stock model from these. Then create your new toolpaths in a sub toolpath group. 

Your reseller is a great source for technical help and proven processes. This forum is excellent as well provided that you link a valid mastercam file with your questions (this takes out the guessing and proves that you are using a legitimate version of the software.)

• Thanks 1