Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Compare Solid faces for parallelism

Corey Hampshire

Is there a way to click on two solid faces and see if they are parallel to one another? My parts have multiple faces at all different angles and it would be nice to know if they are at the same angle. For instance I create a plane off one face for milling, is the other face in the same plane, or do I need to create a new plane for that face as well?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Corey Hampshire said:

Is there a way to click on two solid faces and see if they are parallel to one another? My parts have multiple faces at all different angles and it would be nice to know if they are at the same angle. For instance I create a plane off one face for milling, is the other face in the same plane, or do I need to create a new plane for that face as well?

Thanks in advance.

Create the 1st angled Plane, then make sure it is active. (Can just use "=" button to set WCS, T/Plane, and C/Plane).

Run the 'Curvature' Command, in the drop-down menu, under 'Check Solid'. Give it a 0.0001 Tolerance, and run the function. Pick the color for all "Flat Faces". You should instantly see what faces are "flat" to that current active Plane.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Byte Automation for Mastercam has a Function Mark All C-Plane Surfs that colors all the faces in the active C-Plane,

You can download the Demo Version from https:\\theebyte.com

If it works for you, I can send you an installer just for that component on the house, if you want.

We also have a function that creates a plane from a flat face, which verisurf has too

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Create the 1st angled Plane, then make sure it is active. (Can just use "=" button to set WCS, T/Plane, and C/Plane).

Run the 'Curvature' Command, in the drop-down menu, under 'Check Solid'. Give it a 0.0001 Tolerance, and run the function. Pick the color for all "Flat Faces". You should instantly see what faces are "flat" to that current active Plane.

Remember that with a solid face, you can use Right Click > Quick C-Plane to create a temporary plane to work on.  If you can't create a quick C-Plane on a solid face, then you know that it's not flat as well, so it kills two birds with one stone :)

• Like 2
On 1/6/2023 at 9:17 AM, Corey Hampshire said:

Thanks in advance.

another option would be to set a plane or quick plane off one face, then run analyze draft angle, this will report all horizontal surfaces as a specific color, i think this would work better than analyze curvature would parallelism. just click the little blue rewind looking button when you launch analyze draft angle and it will process the solid with the given tolerance.  

curvature only reports flat surfaces, so it can prove something flat but not parallel, where analyzed draft angle can be set to a specific plane and can actually give you what is horizontal based on a specific plane 

• Thanks 1