Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

big or small end mill for dynamic milling

greenxman

has anyone found it better to use a small dia. end mill instead of the old thought process go with the biggest first. 

already did the job once using a 1/2 bull mill .03r in 17-4, works well but after a lot of parts the tool chips. 

no i cannot show you the part. it is not very big 1/4 x 3/4 x 3 looks like a connecting rod 

I find it's a blend of what everyone said. You want the strongest tool you can use but you have to really keep the effective radial angle of engagement in mind that you want to use for the dynamic milling.

Right tool for the right job, but more often than not I use what I have on hand 😃

1 hour ago, greenxman said:

has anyone found it better to use a small dia. end mill instead of the old thought process go with the biggest first. 

already did the job once using a 1/2 bull mill .03r in 17-4, works well but after a lot of parts the tool chips. 

no i cannot show you the part. it is not very big 1/4 x 3/4 x 3 looks like a connecting rod 

in my experience smaller stepovers with faster feeds result in better tool life than a heavier stepover at a lower feed, i have even seen some evidence of this with Dynamic Power milling where we can achieve really high material removal rates with sacrificing some tool life. So you may get more parts out of the same tool if  you perhaps reduce the stepover and then to compensate increase feedrates. 

17 hours ago, Tim Johnson said:

I've dynamic milled from a Ø1" x 6" long end mill to a 2mm x 20mm long neck end mill. You do what you gotta do.

the sky is the limit with dynamic milling, in my opinion it can be used everywhere when used properly, heck check out what titan of cnc does with this giant heck of a tool here in his vid, he dynamic mills the heck out of this titanium part and you can see the jumbo tool he is using 

in my opinion good quality tooling always makes a difference, however just dialing in or getting the proper speeds, feeds, depth of cut and stepovers correct should allow you to dynamic mill just about any material. But keep in mind there are a ton of ways to use dynamic mill, it doesnt always have to be consitered high speed machining or doesnt even need to use chip thinning with less than a 50% stepover, you can be very aggressive and powermill with dynamic and still see incredible improvements over traditional machining or legacy type roughing operations. sometimes people only think of dynamic milling as running high speeds and feeds with small stepovers, sure that probably gives you the best tool life but can use the path like titan does as well in the vid below with a nice heavy stepover and slower feed

its like that saying, i cant remember exactly how it goes but i think its something like "once you go dynamic, you dont go back"