Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opening NX files

Doug Funny

6 minutes ago, JoshC said:

you did purchase the Unigraphics translator correct?

https://www.mastercam.com/support/technical-support/translators/

we did not. What I ended up doing is, once I started the process of opening the file I would hit ctrl+s. After about 3-4 minutes the save dialog pops up. I save it as a parasolid and force Mastercam closed wit the task manager. I restart the software and open the parasolid

28 minutes ago, Doug Funny said:

we did not. What I ended up doing is, once I started the process of opening the file I would hit ctrl+s. After about 3-4 minutes the save dialog pops up. I save it as a parasolid and force Mastercam closed wit the task manager. I restart the software and open the parasolid

if that actually works then you have found a loophole or exploit. Because many customers have paid to purchase the Unigraphics translator to open up UG files and that is the only way it can be done as far as i know.  so if that's true that you have been able to do that then maybe they patched that

• Like 1

DougFunny,

If you've gotten past selecting the file without being told that you don't have a license to open that type of file, then you have purchased the UG/NX file importer. The list of extensions shown in the dropdown for File/Open is the same for everyone - regardless of what's licensed.

I can probably help you but I have a couple questions:

• Can you find out which UG/NX file importer your company purchased? We have one that we (CNC Software) sell as an addon to Mastercam, but so does a European company named Moldplus. With the importer we sell, I could not get Mastercam to respond to Ctrl-S while the file was being opened. And I tested with a 75MB file and it comes in in under 30 seconds.
  • What version of Mastercam are you running?
  • Can you possibly send me an example of a file that takes 20 minutes to import?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

20 hours ago, Doug Funny said:

Is there a faster way to open NX files?

SpaceClaim 

It is the best file translator on the planet, hands down,It's not even a fair fight

and

not only does it open almost any flavor of CAD you'll ever run into, it can repair bad models as well

It is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. 

It's been bought out by a company called ANSYS, but the core product is still SpaceClaim

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, gcode said:

SpaceClaim 

It is the best file translator on the planet, hands down,It's not even a fair fight

and

not only does it open almost any flavor of CAD you'll ever run into, it can repair bad models as well

It is not cheap, but it's worth every penny. 

It's been bought out by a company called ANSYS, but the core product is still SpaceClaim

I'll have to check it out, thank you