Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Modify the Stock Model

cnc4hobbyists

Dear all, 

I have a stock model as result of some operations and before the last operation I want to manually remove the tabs I left, so I am not adding any toolpath in Mastercam to do it. I can't find a way to convert the stock model to a solid and then to modify it, before using this as Stock model again. 

What's the correct procedure?

22 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Quick and dirty way would be to temporarily make the toolpath without the tabs and save the verify as an stl or on a duplicate file create a stock model (modify the toolpath to eliminate the tabs) and export the stock model to an stl (then use the stl in the new file)

...I think I interpreted the requirement ("so I am not adding any toolpath in Mastercam to do it") too rigidly :)

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

I'll just add a dummy op to remove the unwanted stock, and post-ghost it after updating the following stock model.  Just remember to un-ghost it if you need to regen the stock model for any reason, and then re-ghost it before posting.

I make dummy ops as well and then a mesh from stock model on a separate level and use that as new stock model. deleting the unwanted paths after.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, Matthew Hajicek - Singularity said:

I'll just add a dummy op to remove the unwanted stock, and post-ghost it after updating the following stock model.  Just remember to un-ghost it if you need to regen the stock model for any reason, and then re-ghost it before posting.

This. I came here to post this. 

Surface Finish Contour, choose the whole model, and set start/end depths to the same point, absolute, below the model. Use a dummy tool, make it extra long flutes. (part thickness at least). Mark the operation as "ghosted", and it won't Post Process, or be a part of your NC Program, but will separate the tabs and the rest of the material. Now you can pick the piece you want to keep, and then save as an STL Model.