Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inventor to Mastercam no solids capability

We're planning on upgrading to a new Mastercam in the near future.  However, in the mean time, I'm using X6 and no solids capabilities.  My reseller says that I can not get solids for that version.

There were 3 different engineers here before me and they were able to  get by without solids.  They were gone before I was brought on.

I thought exporting from Inventor as a .stp file was the way to go, but in Mastercam I can't do anything with it.  I get a message "Solids option not available.  Contact your Mastercam dealer"

Is there a different file format I should export as?  Or is there a C-Hook or something that may help?

Thanks.

IGES is your only other solution if you don't have the solids option in Mastercam AFAIK. That should at least give you something machinable. (wire frame and surfaces anyway).

Update that X6 if for no other reason than file translation. THat by itself is worth it, no to mention all the new toolpaths.

• 2 weeks later...

I know we had solids option (prior to me), because we have so much work done with solids, including path routes and g-code.  But if I try to do anything, even with geometry that has routes, I get the message.  I have a ton of drawings that would make my life so much easier, but I can only look at them and create my own drawing.  Way too much time.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:27 AM, ETC Don said:

I know we had solids option (prior to me), because we have so much work done with solids, including path routes and g-code.  But if I try to do anything, even with geometry that has routes, I get the message.  I have a ton of drawings that would make my life so much easier, but I can only look at them and create my own drawing.  Way too much time.

It will always allow you to import a solid body, you just can't "do" anything with it except maybe convert it to surfaces.

I cannot think of a situation where if you had the solids add-on at some point in time it disappeared. Unless it was a trial for a span of time and that trial expired.

Exporting an IGES file from Inventor will allow you to put toolpath on something at least. Short of exporting from Inventor then importing that into Mastercam, updating is the only option I can think of.

That's the biggest issue with using old software; it's not like a car. Replacement parts (apps) aren't being made to keep them running. Old hardware to support new Operating Systems is no longer available either. Once the hardware expires, the junk yard/eBay is your only option.  If that is unappetizing, new car is your only other option.

X6... that's like what 2006?

On 2/13/2023 at 7:23 PM, cncappsjames said:

I cannot think of a situation where if you had the solids add-on at some point in time it disappeared. Unless it was a trial for a span of time and that trial expired.

Or perhaps they just quit paying for the solids add-on.

Working for different shops that had this add-on or that add-on, then the next shop didn't, but had something else...I can't always recall what features go along with what. But James sparked a memory for me. 

I worked at a shop that didn't have the solids add-on. I would import .stp files from the designers (designed in UG). I would create edge curves and surfaces from the solid and then delete the solid (since I couldn't do anything else with it). I could then translate, rotate, toolpath, etc the wireframe and surfaces. All of that was done without the solids add-on. 

So even without solids, you can open files that contain solids. You just can't translate them to zero, rotate, etc like James said.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:26 AM, ETC Don said:

But even though I might be getting a new truck, I like to fix the old one just in case.

On 2/13/2023 at 7:23 PM, cncappsjames said:

X6... that's like what 2006?

I'm still driving my 2004 Ford Taraus to work everyday. ;)

Once you pay for solids it doesn't go away.

Nothing is stopping him from driving old software... he just can't compare that to what's available today then complain about it. I mean I guess he caaaaaan, but he's really got no leg to stand on. We gave him a reliable way to drive tool path from an imported solid. There's extra steps but it's not capable of doing what he wants at WAY past it's sunset date.

I misspoke about 2006... X6 came out in 2011 best I can tell. Also best I can tell that was 11 versions ago. 11 Versions old is eons in software age. 4 versions is ancient. 2 Versions behind is old.

• 2 months later...

It looks like we had other versions of Mastercam before X, and we had another CAM software other than MC.  So those must have had solids capabilities somewhere along the line.

We have to upgrade.  Does it make sense to go from X6 or X7 to 23?  I'm waiting for a quote from my reseller, but I'm looking for other opinions.