Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Memory Card Reader Fanuc 18I setup

Set the machine into "MDI" Mode.
Press the OFFSET/SETTING button.
Change/Set the “I/O Channel” to “4”
Set "Parameter Write Enable" to "1"
Press the Cancel AND Reset buttons simultaneously. This will clear the alarm you get stating parameter write is enabled.
Press the "SYSTEM" button.
Press the numbers "138" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys (below the CRT). You'll need to set bit 7 to a 1 (Bit order is as follows - 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 - so you'll want to change the furthermost bit to the left to a 1)
Press "3404" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Arrow over to bit 2 (3rd bit from the right) and change that to a "1"
Press "6005" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Set Bit 0 to a 1.
Press "6030" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Change it to "198".
Press the OFFSET/SETTING button to get back to setting and set Parameter Write Enable to a "0". Press Reset.
Now, this will allow you to run directly off your memory card.
Your main program in your machine control will just need to look like the following;
%
O100(MAIN PROGRAM)
M198P1234
M30
%
Optionally, you can add a Q to the M198 Pxxxx line (M198P1234Q101) and it will jump to that line number within the Sub Program.
Your program on the memory card MUST be named Oxxxx (the exes being a 4 digit number that MUST correspond to the actual Sub Program Number in the sub program. (ex. O1234) with NO file extension.
Your program on the memory card must be as follows (making sure the M198 P call AND the O number AND the Sub Program Number match as I've shown)
%
O1234(YOUR PROGRAM NAME HERE)
(YOUR PROGRAM AS NORMAL)
N101
M99
%
You MUST have a memory card in the slot when “M198” is called or you will get an alarm.
NOTE:
You’ll need to have the following on hand as well;
• USB Reader/Writer for your PC so you can load programs to the Compact Flash Card.
• PCMCIA to Compact Flash Card Adapter so you can load programs from the Card to the machine.
• 1MB to 1GB (MAX) Compact Flash Card. The smaller the capacity, the more likely it will be compatible with your machine.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, cncappsjames said:

Set the machine into "MDI" Mode.
Press the OFFSET/SETTING button.
Change/Set the “I/O Channel” to “4”
Set "Parameter Write Enable" to "1"
Press the Cancel AND Reset buttons simultaneously. This will clear the alarm you get stating parameter write is enabled.
Press the "SYSTEM" button.
Press the numbers "138" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys (below the CRT). You'll need to set bit 7 to a 1 (Bit order is as follows - 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 - so you'll want to change the furthermost bit to the left to a 1)
Press "3404" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Arrow over to bit 2 (3rd bit from the right) and change that to a "1"
Press "6005" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Set Bit 0 to a 1.
Press "6030" on the key pad then "NO. SRCH" on the soft keys. Change it to "198".
Press the OFFSET/SETTING button to get back to setting and set Parameter Write Enable to a "0". Press Reset.
Now, this will allow you to run directly off your memory card.
Your main program in your machine control will just need to look like the following;
%
O100(MAIN PROGRAM)
M198P1234
M30
%
Optionally, you can add a Q to the M198 Pxxxx line (M198P1234Q101) and it will jump to that line number within the Sub Program.
Your program on the memory card MUST be named Oxxxx (the exes being a 4 digit number that MUST correspond to the actual Sub Program Number in the sub program. (ex. O1234) with NO file extension.
Your program on the memory card must be as follows (making sure the M198 P call AND the O number AND the Sub Program Number match as I've shown)
%
O1234(YOUR PROGRAM NAME HERE)
(YOUR PROGRAM AS NORMAL)
N101
M99
%
You MUST have a memory card in the slot when “M198” is called or you will get an alarm.
NOTE:
You’ll need to have the following on hand as well;
• USB Reader/Writer for your PC so you can load programs to the Compact Flash Card.
• PCMCIA to Compact Flash Card Adapter so you can load programs from the Card to the machine.
• 1MB to 1GB (MAX) Compact Flash Card. The smaller the capacity, the more likely it will be compatible with your machine.

will this work with an oi-mt?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cncappsjames said:

There is no "MT" @Leon82. There is an "M" and a "T".

I've done this on 0i-MD, 0i-TD, 0i-MF,16i, 18i, 21i, 30i, 31i.

I can't think of a reason why it won't work on anything with a PCMCIA slot. 

Note, this only works on PCMCIA, not USB. 

Ok thanks. Maybe it was an MD. It's on a feeler 580 pallet

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing to note is that when you do this if you input and output using ASCII vs ISO there's a difference and you'll need to set 139.0 to 1 for ASCII.

Also, you set 6005.0=1, I didn't know that sequence number calls worked on external subprogram calls? I assume it would also allow me to have multiple M99's in the external subprogram. If so that would make my life a bit easier with a new program I'm writing.

Edit: FYI it works on a 35iB too but I've had issues with new memory cards and pcmcia adapters. Even reformatting and reducing the partition size. I have mine working with a 32MB card FAT formatting with 2048 byte allocation.

I'd recommend getting a PCMCIA adapter that is PCMCIA version 2 at most. I believe my problems were with the adapter allowing version 3 and the new cf card allowing high speed data transfer since repartitioning the 2GB cf card to 32MB with 2048 byte allocation did not work.

1 hour ago, jluther said:

One thing to note is that when you do this if you input and output using ASCII vs ISO there's a difference and you'll need to set 139.0 to 1 for ASCII.

Also, you set 6005.0=1, I didn't know that sequence number calls worked on external subprogram calls? I assume it would also allow me to have multiple M99's in the external subprogram. If so that would make my life a bit easier with a new program I'm writing.

Edit: FYI it works on a 35iB too but I've had issues with new memory cards and pcmcia adapters. Even reformatting and reducing the partition size. I have mine working with a 32MB card FAT formatting with 2048 byte allocation.

I'd recommend getting a PCMCIA adapter that is PCMCIA version 2 at most. I believe my problems were with the adapter allowing version 3 and the new cf card allowing high speed data transfer since repartitioning the 2GB cf card to 32MB with 2048 byte allocation did not work.

On our newer feelers that have the 31 I believe, when you are in dnc mode you can device change to the card and from the directory set dnc soft key and run from the card. It is not run as a sub program. You can block search like you would in a cnc memory program.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/5/2024 at 11:23 PM, Johnny R said:

I have found Label the card as Boot works on our old machines

Ooh, I'll have to try that.  I couldn't get the card to read on my 98 Fanuc Robodrill.   I'm drip feeding from Cimco, if you'd like to set it up like that.   I use a USB > Serial that I bought from Amazon.

If anyone needs a video guide, I made one a while ago on how to set it up:

5 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Ooh, I'll have to try that.  I couldn't get the card to read on my 98 Fanuc Robodrill. ...

You're going to need a card smaller than 128MB IIRC for pre 2000 machines. Honestly I'd go with a 64MB just to be safe.