Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MC 2023 opening Solidworks assembly ignores configuration selected

gargodude

I just got 2023 installed (have been using 2021) and I must say, everything went smoother than ever before. Migration and configuration worked flawlessly.

My problem is now when I open a Solidworks assembly file and select the desired configuration from the resulting menu, ALL of the parts get imported instead of just the ones in the desired configuration.  In all previous MC versions, only the parts shown in the configuration selected would come into Mastercam.

Is this a bug or some new configuration setting that isn't set right?

Do you see the dialog prompting you to choose a configuration to bring in to Mastercam?

This is one I'd never heard of so far ... there are complaints about SW files with multiple configurations needing to have all the configurations rebuilt and then the file re-saved in SW, but not this.

Is it possible for you to zip up and either attach or send me ([email protected]) the SW file(s)? If it's an assembly (a .SLDASM file), please also include all the component part and sub--assembly files. If the ZIP is really large, I can send you a secure link to upload it to.

Thanks

Yes, I saw the dialog box which asks you which configuration that you want to open. I've been doing this for years. I've even tried other files. They do the same thing. I thought it might be an issue with SW 2023 files, but it also does it on older version files too. If I open the same files in MC 2021, everything works as it should.

Thanks for the details. 

Like I said I cannot reproduce that here, and have not heard of it before. It would really help if you could send me a file or files - if you cannot send out something you're working on, then perhaps something drawn up quickly that shows the same symptoms. I could look at the files in MC and in SW to see what might be going on.

Also note that SolidWorks 2023 files are not actually supported in MC2023 yet - though they will be in the upcoming MC2023 Update 4.

Pete

Thanks!

I need the SLDPRTs that make up the assembly too. When I open the SLDASM from your ZIP into SolidWorks, it tells me that 3 parts are missing:

image.thumb.png.2f6f1936d2a5c97cdf55ab160aa24a1a.png

And when I try to open the SLDASM into Mastercam, I get this:

image.png.c672b91b5cfba7b33892500bb4ad0820.png

Without those I am really not going to be able to analyze this issue.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

Thanks!

Coincidentally (or maybe not) Tech Support just received the files from Jack Tiffany at Sierra Cad/Cam too.

I've taken a quick look and I'm kind of puzzled by what we're seeing, so I'm going to ask our Tech Support people to log an issue into our bug log so that I can take the time to really figure out what's going on. It looks like we're ignoring the 'suppression' flags in the different configurations, but that's not the case on other files I've seen.

Thanks for following up with the files!

More later...

Pete

I was able to dig deeper and this is similar to an issue that has already been reported once or twice. It has to do with properly handling 'assembly-level' features : those pattens that are applied at the end of the Assembly tree. It's a different issue than having features and patterns inside the individual components.

We have already contacted the 3rd-party company who provides us with software for importing SolidWorks files and added to the information we had previously logged with them about the earlier cases.

In the meantime - it looks like exporting out of SolidWorks as a Parasolid (assuming you have access to a seat of SolidWorks) X_T or X_B file should get you what you want (though each configuration needs to be saved out separately).

We will be reporting this same information to Jack via the support ticket that he logged with us.

Pete

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...