Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TRANSFORM -ROTATE+TRANSLATE

Thanks for the comment . But that doesn't explain anything. Maybe I didn't describe the problem very clearly. I'll try one more time.

On a cylindrical part, there is a group of identical machining elements. These elements are positioned with a rotation of 45 degrees around the axis of rotation and a 2-inch offset along the X axis relative to each other.

Question: How can one create a single transformation operation that simultaneously rotates and shifts, so that processing of the first element can be replicated to the rest of the elements in the group?

I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Fine Machine said:

Thanks for the comment . But that doesn't explain anything. Maybe I didn't describe the problem very clearly. I'll try one more time.

On a cylindrical part, there is a group of identical machining elements. These elements are positioned with a rotation of 45 degrees around the axis of rotation and a 2-inch offset along the X axis relative to each other.

Question: How can one create a single transformation operation that simultaneously rotates and shifts, so that processing of the first element can be replicated to the rest of the elements in the group?

I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you.

You cannot do it in one that I am ware of. You have to create two separate transform operations. Throw up a sample file and then maybe someone can see what you are seeing.

• Like 1

I have evaluated the option of processing along an axis and then reversing through rotation. Simple processing is possible in this manner. However, my specific processing involves using 9 different tools for each element, which would require additional tool changes and increased NC code if each element is processed from start to finish before moving on to the next. To avoid this, I am exploring alternative solutions.
I am curious if there are limitations with the current software that only allow for linear movement or rotation. Is it possible to combine these actions in a single operation within MasterCam? I understand this may be a question for the software developers, but I hope to gather insight from others who may have faced similar challenges.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had to do this with patterning as well in the past for making parts on multiple faces.  You will end up with crapload of transform operations, but it is absolutely possible to do it with sub programs, and also possible to maintain 100% associativity back to the main operations.   You can have it wind up and unwind your rotary as you go tool by tool as well.  Makes for a very efficient executing program with fewest tool changes and least amount of rotary movement.  Lot's to keep track of, but at the end of the day it works very well.  IIRC to rotate 180 degress in xy and then 90 about y, then pattern with work offsets, and sub, it took 4 or 5 transform ops to do it properly.  Also, the mention of going crosseyed is also a very mild description of what happens if you walk away and try to come back and decode what you have to do to alter/finish the job.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, Fine Machine said:

I have evaluated the option of processing along an axis and then reversing through rotation. Simple processing is possible in this manner. However, my specific processing involves using 9 different tools for each element, which would require additional tool changes and increased NC code if each element is processed from start to finish before moving on to the next. To avoid this, I am exploring alternative solutions.
I am curious if there are limitations with the current software that only allow for linear movement or rotation. Is it possible to combine these actions in a single operation within MasterCam? I understand this may be a question for the software developers, but I hope to gather insight from others who may have faced similar challenges.

Nothing many of us doing the type of work you are doing haven't faces. You are exploring your options and looking for alternative, but without a sample file for anyone of us to see what you are seeing we are just throwing darts at a dart board facing the wrong way blindfolded either one state of half a world from the dartboard.

• Haha 1