Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MAR-M

JAMMAN

Has anyone worked with mar-m or know of an american foundry that deals with casting it or...

has anyone even heard of it?

A web search turned up very little and most of the places were on the other side of the earth.

Well I know some foundaries but not sure if they deal with this stuff or not. I am thinking you might be looking at something like a forging verse a Casting. Here is a company I have used in the past for crazy stuff.

Specality Steel & Forge

26 Law Drive

Fairfeild, NJ 07004

1-201-808-8300

www.steelforge.com

And for you guys looking for exotic stuff here is a good contact also.

Admiral Steel

4152 West 123rd Street

Alsip, Illinos 60803

1-800-323-7055

www.admiralsteel.com

They have Damascus as well as other knife blade Steel.

HTH

• Like 1
  • 16 years later...

Bringing this thread back from the depths of emastercam archives...

Looking at a large project involving this MAR M material... blade/turbine kind of work.

Anyone with the experience of successfully cutting it?

Any tips/tricks that can be shared will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

The nickel content of Mar-M 247 is way higher than the material I've been working with, it also has tungsten in it.

So it's not quite the same beast that I've been dealing with it looks much worse.

80-125 SFPM .010 FPT .10 RDOC - Rough Turning my best guess.

80-125 SFPM .005-.008 FPT .03 DOC (DEPENDS ON THE SIZE)

10% Coolant concentration.

Give ceramics a try we have had great success.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, Colin Gilchrist said:

OSG

Ceramic Endmills > 6, 8, 10, 12 mm

https://www.osg.co.jp/en/products/endmill/index.html

But, they are not cheap!!!

OSG Ceramic.PNG

Where you have to understand shop rate and ROI processes to understand what are the gains with using tools like this. Shop rate of $60/hr probably not going to see an advantage using these tools. Shop rate of $475/hr going to see it real quick.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

They are scary to use. Because they run above 700 C.  to soften the material. An Operator sees the tool and material glowing, and wants to turn down the feed, and "pop", there goes several hundred dollars...

Some of the parts we make programs for cannot get that hot due to stress issues. They are strictly forbidden due to part failures of past parts where that happened. 50-60 year legacy on things makes some companies weary of even rethinking using tools like this. Can only image getting HST toolpaths used on this material. That has only taken 3 years to finally get a test going.

On the machine broaching was a fun conversation with flight directors, heads of engineering and other groups. Made the test part and when they put it all together I get the strange looks and begin ask how did you do that? I was not sure what they meant and they asked about the finished height. I told them I could only hit it with a 1/4 turn of the thread. They went yeah you said that, but hit them with .001" of the nominal. Is that a problem? No, but how? I will take dumb luck any day of the week if that is a good enough answer for you. 😉

• Like 2