Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 16/18i Series Tip - Dataserver

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Never TOO late on this post tdorgan, the mori/ata/crapps saga is far from ending!

One response from our rep has been "mori recommends ATA only cards, that could be your problem". Nevermind 98% of the world uses Sandisk or similar cards and an adapter. We have tried multiple brands of cards, (even one that had a mori label on it) and have varying degrees of "luck" getting it to consistently read. As of Friday, our rep gave us news (I think accidentially) that more and more folks are having problems with their ATA readers/controls, etc.

If you guys are having similar "issues" as well, might be worth calling your dealer and requesting remedy of a known issue, or at least documenting the case biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My cards are not the stuff you buy at Target. Not sure of the Mfr's but the p/n is SJA-004M5W. They work without issue and are more pricey than the usual stuff. When I plug it in it's ID says it's an SRAM Card not an ATA.

HTH

Tech FINALLY made it out last friday.

In a nutshell, he does'nt know why the DNC from ATA card won't work. Were using the Crapps II, and he has'nt run it from that....needs to get in touch with Mori on that. great.

What he DID show me was how to get at the "windows" memory component in the control, which has 50mb of storage. Even though it's on-board, programs there can only be used for DNC type operation. Quasi-data server. Uploading programs from an ATA read pretty darn quick into that memory (I tried a 25mb progarm and it took about 30 sec.).

Mori also is becoming aware of numberous other cases of ATA read problems, and is working on a software fix for that. good luck.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...needs to get in touch with Mori on that. great...

I hear you on that!

quote:

...Mori also is becoming aware of numberous other cases of ATA read problems, and is working on a software fix for that...

You also have ot be in Reset/Edit Mode to dump parameters onto your ATA Card. Crazy!!!

Give Me Fanuc of Give Me Death! curse.gif

[ 10-24-2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

• 4 months later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry Bruce, I've not even touched a 15 in at least 10 years.

Dunno if it will work or not. Good idea to ressurect the topic though. I'd give it a shot being the adventerous soul I am. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'll update this subject matter as I do different things ...

For the last couple of months I've been working on a lot of Kitamura's with 16iMB Controls.

I've been using a "Dazzle* Compact Flash Adapter" with a 4x Lexar 128MB Compact Flash Card with absolutely positively ZERO problems. I plug it into my laptop to get my programs onto the card.

FYI

• 2 months later...

Ok it is time to do rolleyes.gif

We just got a Kiwa with Fanuc 18i control, and the guy who installed the machine had this little sweet card that he called a "Flash card". Now offcourse I need once of those, so I was sitting for a 1 hour on the internett today to find that these cards comes on all kind of styles, narrow, wide, thick and thin.

does any one know what type I need?

Thanks

Lars

Lars,

If you call Fanuc for card recommendations they will send you a two year old list in which all of the cards are obsolete. The flash cards are almost nonexistant now. We had problems on our newest machine, ended up bringing in Fanuc in (a nightmare in itself) and he broght a three year old card in the that service people share because know that that one does work. banghead.gif After he and our machine servise guy worked for several hours and about ten different compact flash cards later it still didn't work. Our machine guy called another machine tool builder in Ohio and found out they had the same problem, finally found a card and bought 100 cards so their customers wouldn't have to go through that again. We tried to buy that compact flash card and it was obsolete. We finally found one that worked and bought about ten of them ourselves in case our other cards went bad. E-mail me and Monday I can send you that card number. It should still be around. I'm not sure if Fanuc is phasing out the flash cards, but their definately not putting any research into the new cards. curse.gif

Hi,

On a Mori Seiki NV5000/A40, we use an adapter with a 256 meg chip. The memory, and hardware to read-write the memory at the computer, via the USB interface, and the ATA adapter that carries the memory chip for insertion into the controllers' interface, were all purchased for under $100, about 10 or so months ago. Works like a charm for large programs.

• 8 months later...

To revive this discussion.

Where are you guys getting your hardware.

4 machines to set up.

My list

4 ATA cards

1 reader for my compter

Anything else needed?

Adapters for anything?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Just found this,

Here's the way to switch the channel via program so you don't have to do it manually.

%

O777(SWITCH COMM CHANNEL)

G90G10L50

N20R4(SWITCH TO MEMORY CARD)

(R5=DATASERVER)

(R0=RS–232C SERIAL PORT 1)

(R1=RS–232C SERIAL PORT 1)

(R2=RS–232C SERIAL PORT 2)

(R3=REMOTE BUFFER INTERFACE)

(R10= DNC1/DNC2 INTERFACE/ OSI–EETHERNET)

G11

M99

%

HTH

Dave,

This is off of pg 1 of this thread

quote:

James,

We've been using a 128 meg compact flash card in our fanuc 18i control. Bought a couple for about 50 bucks each from Staples. Is this similar to what you've suggested? Is there a difference between the compact flash and an ata card? I'm told the control reads directly from the card. Down side is all the walking (front office PC to the router).

Marv P.

James,

response

quote:

Sometimes the machines have compatability problems with compact flash which is why we went with ATA. I'm not exactly sure of the differences other than price ATA is about 4x more. Yes the control reads directly from the card. It's a great way to run long programs on Fanucs without having to spend a fortune on more memory.

--------------------

James Meyette

Apps Eng., MC Programmer, Beta Tester, and SoCal Trojans Fan!

Doing this yesterday was no brainer

Our machines have 128k of memory but the nature of our work is starting to change. I can now generate programs of near 1 meg each, so the DNC was nice but it has it's drawbacks. I bought 4 32 megs ATA cards and a reader/writer for about $320, I'm not going to quote the costs for a 4 meg memory upgrade for 4 machines but suffice to say it's over 5 digits.

This was a no-brainer smile.gif

We got our Gantry working off of the card as well. It is a 15i and had to turn on a bit but that was it. The guys like it alot better than DNC and since we it was so much cheaper than getting a dataserver installed we went that route. I will say you need to create a log or a book or programs being put on the different cards. I can see possible problems down the road if you do not have a central location to save all of these programs to. For the price of the card if you have a long term program running I recommend a spefic card for that part number or that group of parts that will run a spefic machine. We have set up our gantry now with 3 different parts with different operations for each and looking to add more to utlize it's size.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It's funny... some machines have troubles with some Compact Flash cards and others don't. Nobody I have had discussions with at Fanuc or the Mcahine Tool Builders can give an answer.

My 128MB CF that I use, so far has been able to be read in EVERY machine I've tried. Mori Seiki, SV, NV, NH and the ZT, Kitamura HX, Cinci Lathe w/ Fanuc 21i Control.

It's a Dazzle Compact Flash Card Adapter(SC04008351 is the only number on it) and my CF is Lexar Media 4x 128MB. I have seen guys use a Secure Digital Adapter and SD Card successfully but I don't have hands on experience with that.

HTH