Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 16/18i Series Tip - Dataserver

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I wanna say around $4,000 give or take a few depending on storage size.

A Dataserver works liek a HDD in your CNC. You have a Main program in your control, that calls M198Pxxxx. The Pxxxx is the program number residing in the Dataserver. It's as fast as machine memory so no more sucky DNC. You just use FTP software to move programs the Dataserver.

HTH

I'm in a little late on this thread...

A shop I'm doing some sub-work at has a brand new mori with the Crapps II...we've had all sorts of issues with the ata reader. DOES NOT like a compact flash card with adapter, works SLIGHTLY better with a true ATA card. Mori tech has been out numerous times and has yet to out-and-out replace the card reader....which he says would require a complete replacement of the Mapps unit. Hmmmmm, can't GIVE away Pentium III's around here. mad.gifmad.gif

I prefer my dam HAAS with 115K baud rs-232. How come baud rate on the Mori only goes up to 19,2K ?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you're using I/O Channel 3, youhave up to 86,400

quote:

...CRAPPS...

Got that right. I personally hate that curse.gif !!!! We've got curse.gif Mazak to thank for this! curse.gif !!!! Just gimme straight Fanuc with no curse.gif eye candy.

As for the ATA deal, we use true ATA Cards. We tried COmpact Flash and did not have any luck. Make them replace the unit, as long as it's under warranty. If it's out , you're prolly lookin' at a fair piece of change. curse.gif

Oh yeah, the thing in under warranty alright....it's 3 months old!! The tech is adimant (s.p.) about documenting the exact sequence of keystrokes that do or do not work when trying to access the card reader....and getting "clearance" from Japan as to authorizing a replacement..

uh, how about, the ****ing thing doesn't work, PEROID.

Yeah, CRAPPS II all right. Trying to keep a $150k machine tool running with conversational programing/interface is totally counterproductive. Just gimme the dam control and keep the bells and whistles...I'll stick with Mcam for my programming biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Any chance I get I slam CRAPPS to the Mori guys. They don't appreciate it but hey, I tell them the truth but they don't listen. Actually, the lion's share of the blame lies with Fanuc believe it or not. Mori tried to negotiate better pricing from them being that they are the largest consumer of Fanuc Controls in the world outside of Fanuc itself, but Noooooooooo, the greedy curse.gif would not budge and Mitsubishi said, hey, we'll work with you. So the CRAPPS interface came about so that customers would not need to worry about different interfaces. Another smaller part of it was Mazak's success over the years, now mind you, they could give a curse.gif about the end user, it's the guy writing the checks they care about. The guy writing the checks likes the eye candy curse.gif so they continue to foist it upon us. curse.gif

quote:

...The tech is adimant (s.p.) about documenting the exact sequence of keystrokes that do or do not work when trying to access the card reader....and getting "clearance" from Japan as to authorizing a replacement..

Here's what you tell 'em... Come pick up this curse.gif piece of curse.gif cuz I'm buying a Makino! And further more I'm telling all my friends that have shops the same! That may get their attention. The Mori Iron is some of the best out there, and Fanuc is the best control IMHO, but that damn CRAPPS has got to go. Just adding more more crap for the sake of looks.

I'm feeling the same way about the mori

The machine is nice in itself. But the controller

is user hostile, doesn't even show what tool is currently in the spindle from the tool offset page

The new model does but not our 6 month old one and not a software update option..

and Mr. Me-AGH-ee wasn't any help at IMTS either

the tall blonde chick was nice tho smile.gif

We have several Makino A55's as well as a paletech FH800 with pc fusion 640m controller. The controller on the makinos only has "professional 3" above the screen and no other identifying marks. The mob that installed the machines say that the card reader cannot be used for DNC but I don't think they know all there is to know about these machines. Can this trick be used on these Machines? 500k of memory is as useful as xxxx on a bull.

Bruce

[ 10-03-2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: BC10146 ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...500k of memory is as useful as xxxx on a bull...

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Bruce, the A55's should be able to do this. Check the Fanuc Manuals that came with them if the Operator's Manual says "Fanuc Series 16i/18i/160i/180i/160is/180is-MA" on the cover and or spine then this should work. You may need to call Makino directly, either in Japan or the US, unless they have an office with Applications Engineers in Aus. In the US you are more likely to get someone that you can understand and can understand you though.

As for the Mazak, I have no idea. Sorry.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Addendum. CMR wanted to know the procedure on the CRAPPS Interface to set everything. Here it is.

OK, here's the skinny on how to set it up.

Set tne machine to MDI mode. Edit Key must be to Edit. Press the "Setting" hard key, press the "NC Setting" soft key (Below screen), enable NC Parameter Write. You'll probably get an alarm, no problem.

Press the System Hard Key, NC System Soft key.

Type 138 and press the No. Search button, then put the correct value in the correct bit. The bits go from right to left. Bit 0 (far right), Bit 1, Bit 2, etc... to Bit 7 which is the bit on the far left.

I/O Setting is #20 I think, set all the remaining parameters.

When you're done, press the "Setting" hard key, press the "NC Setting" soft key (Below screen), disable NC Parameter Write.

HTH

Another update on the Memory using a compact flash card. It does work but only with newer Fanuc controls. Any control that does not have the correct software will only read the compact flash to memory and not use it for DNC. The good news is that you can update the bad news is would be cheaper buying a ATA card wit hthe 1 gig of memory but then they are not sure if you can DNC from that with big files so would get that cleared up. I have got this information thanks to my co-worker.

Here I am yet again...

My job got bumped off the Mori last week and I ended up running it on a Haas...needless to say now I'm finally messing with the DNC from ATA setup. Spent about 5 or 6 hours this morning with NO LUCK!

James, in conjunction with your explicit instructions and a stack of Fanuc manual's, I have educated myself a bit more about these controls and now have at least a reasonable understanding of the settings and general layout....

Anyhow, set everything up according to your specs's...and now I'm getting an "error code 4, data not found" when I run the small program. Looks like it's not reading the program from the card properly? Here's what my program looks like on the card

code:

%

O0005

(PROGRAM NAME - COOKIE1 )

(DATE=DD-MM-YY - 08-10-04 TIME=HH:MM - 09:20 )

N100 G20

N102 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

( .250 CHAMFER MILL TOOL - 3 DIA. OFF. - 3 LEN. - 3 DIA. - .25 )

N104 T3 M6

N106 G0 G90 G54 X.3786 Y-.5312 S8000 M3

N108 G43 H3 Z.1 T19

N110 M8

N112 G99 G82 Z-.213 R.1 P1. F50.

N114 X.4704 Y-1.2167

N116 X.5815 Y-2.0468

and here's what calls it:

code:

%

O0001

M198P5

M30

%

Any ideas?

I reset everything back to original settings, and now I can't grab anything off the card, regular input into memory!! API ERROR.

Also, talked to our local rep, and apparently more and more CRAPPS II units are showing up with bad/sketchy/intemittent ATA card readers.... they are coming out next week curse.gif to "re-evalutate" it...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Loose the "%" sign... I don;t use them and mine works.

CRAPPS.... give those suckers a curse.gif for me too while you're at it. I'd be willing to put some money down on it that says the CRAPPS Front End is causing the issue. I've NEVER had a problem with the old Fanuc interface. Only since this CRAPPS front end garbage has this been an issue... curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

Oh yeah, this is a brand-spankin' new machine....so new that the dam tech's don't even know their way around them...or for that matter around the menu screens! curse.gifcurse.gif It's a P3 600mhz processor, Phonix Bios, all running Windows XP "embedded". The best part is the .5mb memory, yes that's 500,000k. HALF A MEG!!! banghead.gifbanghead.gif I'm just gonna keep this post/flame/tip going until my machine gets fixed. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Light it up. I'll talk some $#!+ too. As much as I love Mori's I HATE MAPPS. I hate it ALMOST as much as I hate the Cinci A2100 COntrol. I hate that sucker so bad, I'd rather put lit cigarettes in my eyes than buy one of those... eek.gif

quote:

...bad/sketchy/intemittent ATA card readers...

Yeah, right. It's the friggin' CRAPPS API that's the culprit I'll bet.