Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 16/18i Series Tip - Dataserver

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

It's funny... some machines have troubles with some Compact Flash cards and others don't. Nobody I have had discussions with at Fanuc or the Mcahine Tool Builders can give an answer.

my experience also. I've ran three diff. mori's and they all had different "preferences" for cards. the oldest one (04') would at best occasionally read a Mori labled ATA card. the newest machine had no problems reading ata or el-cheapo cf adapter from comp usa.

I got same setup as you James, I small card fitting into a adapter, just another brand. It works like a charme, I have all your Fanuc controlled machines backed up in my computer, programs, tool offsets and parameters.

I figured out how Tool management works Friday, it seems pretty complicated at 1st. , but if your machine comes with the option and you have tools you are leaving in the machine for long periods of times, it is a pretty cool feature.

James this is a bit off topic but pertains to Fanuc 18i controller. What I want to change is the distance during a G83 after the retract the distance that it starting feeding again but in my control my parameters only show basic settings so I need to change that to show all and the parameter that allows me to change the value in my G83 any help is greatly appreciated because right now after every peck it starts feeding .1 above where it stopped drilling which is way over kill want it to be .04

• 2 weeks later...

A question about the i series FANUC controls.

We have 6 FANUC controlled lathes in Cincy, but no i series controls.

Our plant in Ga just got a Hardinge GT27SP w/ FANUC 21i control to hard turn. I went down & set the machine up w/ macro programs to handle 95% of the workload. For special programs we talked about getting a laptop for them to transfer the files (that I will write & email) to the machine.

After reading this thread I'm thinkin it might be possible to use the ATA interface. Can I use the card to load programs to the main system memory, not just for DNC?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Can I use the card to load programs to the main system memory, not just for DNC?

Absolutely! ATA/Flash cards are FAR better (Zero Dropperd characters ever) and probably nearly 100x Faster. ATA/Flash runs at the speed of memory (I think Bus Speed), and RS-232, you're probably looking at 19,200 at best. It's like comparing DSL and Dial-up.

Just so I understand...

I save the program to the flash memory as the file # without a file extension & no % start and end of file characters.

Switch the I/O to chanel #4.

Then just use the std O#### (prog no) I/O READ EXECUTE to load the program into main memory.

BTW thanks to all for this thread I learned alot.

You guys ROCK!

:BUMP:

Just want to check fi my last post looks like the right procedure. The machine being in Ga. It will be hard to experiment, trying to convey what the operator needs to do & understanding them when they tell me what is happening.

One more question. Does the machine have to be off to insert or remove the ATA card? or is there a procedure for "stopping" it like when I pull one out of my laptop?

3rd String I have this samme controller. To work off a card step by step here goes.

1 go to MDI

2 offsets

3 enable write

4 turn IO to 4

5 disable write

6 go to Memory

7 DNCCD

8 Turn on drip feed

9 choose program number

10 Dnc start

11 hit cycle start

You do NOT have to change the program name to a O#### but you do have to use that number to call the program.

concept

Thanks for the info. Aboyt naming the files. This is from James' first post in this topic.

quote:

ATA Card:

File name on card must match program number, DO NOT use filename extension. (.txt)

Example:

card filename - O0001

program number - O0001

Also I'm trying to down laod the program from the ATA card to the controllers system memory, not runit as DNC.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

DNC is no bueno. Defeating the whole purpose of the information on the last 2 pages.

Card Filename and Program Number DO need to match, NO file extension.

Your main program loks like this;

%

O0001 (MAIN DUMMY PROGRAM)

M198 P100 (CALLS PROGRAM/FILE O100 FROM FLASH CARD)

M30

%

Your program from the flash card looks like this;

O0100 (CUTTING PROGRAM)

N2 G0 G90 Z3.0

N4 G90 G01 Z1.5 F50.0(ABS)

N6 G91 G41 G01 X0.0108 Y0.0039 F21.392 D117 (INC)

N8 G03 X-0.0153 Y0.0265 Z0.0167 I-0.0199 J0.0062 F2.02 (INC)

N10 G03 X0 Y0 Z0.0769 I0.0045 J-0.0304 F2.85 (INC)

N12 G03 X-0.007 Y-0.0298 Z0.0167 I0.0103 J-0.0181

N42 M99

without the "..." of course.

If you really want to get slick, don't allow your operators to switch I/O channels, make your main program look like this;

%

O0001(MAIN PROGRAM CALL)

G90G10L50

N20R4(SET COMMUNICATIONS PARAMETER TO FLASH CARD)

G11

M198 P100 (FLASH CARD CALL)

G10L50

N20R1(SET COMMUNICATIONS PARAMETER TO RS-232)

G11

M30

%

HTH

Ok James I understand that. wink.gif

My question now is what do I need to do to load the program from the ATA card into controllers system memory?

I want the operator to be able edit the program (in some of the macro progs I write)

For ex #500=.750 (Stock Dia)

and I remeber you saying earlier that to edit the program on the card you had to do it on a PC not at the control. So can I transfer the file from the program from the card to the controllers main memory?

I have this for our operators now if the program will fit into the memory. They load it into the memory edit what they need save it back to the card and go from there or can leave it in the memory if they switch the main program to M98 verse M189 which is run programs from the card.

But you can go a step further and use varaibles on the machine control so that it is looking to the machine for the varaibles verse looking inthe program for them as well.

HTH

Ron

Just so I understand...

I save the program to the flash memory as the file # without a file extension & no % start and end of file characters.

Switch the I/O to chanel #4.

Then just use the std O#### (prog no) I/O READ EXECUTE to load the program into main memory.

Just want to check if my this looks like the right procedure. The machine being in Ga. It will be hard to experiment, trying to convey what the operator needs to do & understanding them when they tell me what is happening.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

To read from the card into main memory... let's see if I can do it from memory....

Edit, Program, Dir, Soft Arrow Key to Card, Card, read file, (Choose from list by FILE #, NOT O Number though you can do this and once you get to the screen you'll see what I mean), and Execute (I think). I can picture the key strokes... biggrin.gif

Tha will load from the card into the machine instead of through RS-232.

HTH