Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Robodrill High Speed Question

Paul McGarr

When I mill complex shapes on a Fanuc Robodrill, it seems that the processor can't keep up with the data, and the machine stutters. I am used to seeing this when drip feeding, but it does it with programs in physical memory too. I tried to enable high speed machining via G05 P10000, but I got an "invalid g code" error.

I do the same thing on my Makino and it works fine.

I know about using filter to create arcs, etc, but even with that, I am getting a lot of stuttering.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Your Robo Drill is not equipped with the HPCC (SGI for you Makino fans) OPTION

Try G08P1 - It's look ahead which is a lesser contour control option but may be included. If not you will need to slow your feed rate down or filter your toolpath so there's not as much of it.

HTH

• 14 years later...
On 8/20/2004 at 1:55 AM, Paul McGarr said:

Robodrill,

It's all in the name. Don't get me wrong you can do plenty of things with these machines and I have seen them make huge piles of money making simple brackets and fittings.

But there is a reason people invest in machines designed for complex geometry and high feed contouring. Eventually there is going to be a limit of what's possible on this machine. 

29 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

It's all in the name. Don't get me wrong you can do plenty of things with these machines and I have seen them make huge piles of money making simple brackets and fittings.

But there is a reason people invest in machines designed for complex geometry and high feed contouring. Eventually there is going to be a limit of what's possible on this machine. 

100% disagree Nick. If it can fit in your hand, the machine is kickarse. This is a very old post, and the guy never had the G05 option. So it was probably a very old machine with probably a low-optioned early 16 control.

G05.1 and a couple of parameter tweaks would more than probably solved his problem...

2 hours ago, Newbeeee™ said:

o it was probably a very old machine

I rest my case. As I said I have seen Robodrills do amazing things and they are absolutely good machines, it just clearly wasn't going to happen here..

And if I had to fit out a shop with small machines I might have Robodrill or two, but I wouldn't fill the shop up with them

2 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

I rest my case. As I said I have seen Robodrills do amazing things and they are absolutely good machines, it just clearly wasn't going to happen here..

And if I had to fit out a shop with small machines I might have Robodrill or two, but I wouldn't fill the shop up with them

I had 4x BT40 10k rpm machines and 3x Feeler BBT30 15krpm machines (which replaced 2x Robos).

IF i ever did it again, I'd have 2x BT40 machines and 6 Feelers in the same floorspace making more money.