Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

J Coulston

Holy crap, I just got a flyer in the mail from a competing CAM system. I had to look at it for a few seconds longer than I should have to figure out who it was from. The colors and font are exactly the same as MC's even has the letters CNCXR in the name. I almost wet myself thinking it was info on X.

At least they knew who to imitate.

LoL, That would be OneCNC, right?

They have a lot of, um... advertising, that seems like it is made to either confuse people or flat out lie to them. Like "The world leader in CadCAM is now the most powerful" Blah blah ef'n blah...

This from a cad/cam system that is not even IN the top 10 according to CIMdata, Inc., and this same software DOES NOT SUPPORT 4 OR MORE AXIS

rotflmao.gifrotflmao.gifrotflmao.gif

Someone spent a few days trolling them on another forum. Trying to get them to explain just how they came to the conclusion that they were the leader and the most powerful.

They got their feelings all hurt and threatened to sue that web site. biggrin.gif Shortly after that their advertisement changed. wink.gif

I hadn't seen the white/red logo on OneCNC yet, but I did see one for another company, same letter style/color as MC, and the wording made it look like MC. (Got that changed almost imediately. wink.gif )

• 1 month later...

What's even better about the OneCNC XR website, they referred to their own software as OneCNC -XP and there were several spelling and grammatical errors throughout the "guided tour". Nearly every single function they listed as a "top 10 feature" out of the "mountains of features" to them, is already done in Mcam, and has been for years.

I really like their "comparatively easy to use" toolpath associativity is "made even easier...by following the 'step by step' procedure..." for changing a tool diameter or parameter. As compared to Mcam, which is so easy you don't even need a "step by step" procedure. Just change the tool dia. and regenerate the toolpath. Whenever you need to. Like Nextel's ads say, it's "Done". biggrin.gif

Before it was One CNC ot was AUSCad and the bloke who wrote it works just down the road from me here in Brisbane. A few years ago now he won an award in the US for the best software under $10000. Since then though I think he has partnered up with a few foreign companies in the US and Germany to get his product more recognition. He must have lost a fair bit of control because he is too much of a gentleman to carry on with the rubbish that you fellows are talking about.

I used the software for years and loved it, but that was before I got to use MC.

Bruce

I saw that too, Peter. I would like to at least try it so I'll know what to base my biased opinions on, but alas, I think I may need to wait until they forget how bad I slammed them here and on another board.

They threatened lawsuits and crap, then promptly changed their web site and banners to remove some of the things I brought up that were complete lies.

I don't think they'll be letting me demo it any times soon..

disagree.gifdisagree.gifdisagree.gif

As far as I can see OneCNC did not change anything except the whole web when they brought out their XR range so I think someone is getting their own memory capabilities tangled up with the truth. The XR looks to be streets in front of MC now we are still dealing with only one undo if you're lucky sometimes for just one example. Nothing as happened for the last two years in MC other than catch up hype and now we even have to pay maintenance to even get that.

quote:

The XR looks to be streets in front of MC now we are still dealing with only one undo if you're lucky sometimes for just one example

While the XR user is "streets in front of me"

undoing multiple screwups, I'm making chips.

Mastercam can program full rotary 4 axis,

5 axis, and mill/turn. I've seen Mastercam produce internal volutes on a 3 axis mill with a right angle head, a true 4th axis rotary table.

and lollipop cutters.

I've even tricked it into programming 6 axis.

(full 5 axis HMC with a positioning rotary table).

Keep your multiple undo's and pretty pictures.

OneCNC couldn't feed the tooling department where I work.

OneCNC is a great package for those who only do 3-axis work and basic surfacing. Their features and pricing reflect that.

Like I said, the man who wrote the code for the original AusCAD software is a pretty nice bloke. His goal was to have small shops using functional programming software for a fraction of the price of more comprehensive packages like Mastercam. In this he has succeeded. Unfortunately now it seems that the marketing dept have gone a bit too far. What does XR cost compared to MC? I don't know for sure, but the first version not named AusCAD was only 25% the cost of mastercam. My last shop used it quite successfuly. Now I am at a much larger shop with multi axis machines mastercam is the preffered software.

You get what you pay for.

BTW AusCAD was available with a 4-axis addon. It should still be available for OneCNC.

Bruce